3" tricolor tablets

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
FC= 6, CYA= 40, PH=7.8
Been religiously following TFP this year and so far so good. Only use LC, but when I am away for a few days at my cabin, I have to use tablets. Trying to minimize there use so do not increase CYA much so trying to determine how much to put in to dissolve while I am away.

My estimate is that the tablets dissolve in about 5-6 days. so if each tablet is 8oz and pool math say 8oz will raid FC by 5.5 and I am losing about 3ppm of FC daily, for 6 days gone I would need 5 x 3 = 15ppm for the 6days so three tablets or 2 tablets if gone for 4 days. Am I thinking correctly? Or do you load up on them and remove what is left when return?

That is the dilemma of the tablets. They will not dissolve fast enough to provide the FC add you need.

I would suggest raising your FC to near SLAM level before you leave and then add a tablet if it takes 5-6 days for it to dissolve. See what FC is when you return.

OK. I know that tablets in skimmer is often frowned upon due to high concentration when pump off, but on the rare cases where I travel, I thought that may be a good alternative as they dissolve faster in a skimmer. But your SLAM is a good alternative

Before I leave town for more than two nights (remember those days?) I raise the water level to allow for evaporation, dump in an extra jug of bleach (8 ppm in my pool) and stuff my floater full of pucks. There has always been little slivers left, even after a week.

We all rush to check the pool when we get back. Thus far I haven't found it green. Drop the hose in to bring up the level, empty a jug into the stream, and go unload the car. The next day it can all get balanced properly.

Not a good idea to put a tablet in the skimmer.

If you tie your tab floater such that it sits near a return, and you leave your pump on 24/7. I bet it will dissolve better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.