3-Port Diverter Valves - Restriction?

MN_poolguy

May 18, 2020
Minnesota
Hi all,
Installing a new pool and I was originally going to order Jandy valves for the equipment pad but between estimated shipping times and cost, I made a last minute decision and went with Pentair valves. Grabbed some 2 port and 3 port diverter valves. The 3-Port valves surprised me. After choosing 2 inch suction size plumbing it sure looks like the valve will restrict the flow to significantly less than normal 2" flow rates. The actual "venturi" inside the valve is more a narrowed vertical opening. Is this normal for a 3-port valve? Did some searching but couldn't find an answer anywhere...

Which valves did you get? 1 1/2 inside/2" slip outside or 2" inside/2 1/2" slip outside?

The diverter, part 9, opens up 270 degrees of the water flow...

Post pics of what you have for the diverter.

Which valves did you get? 1 1/2 inside/2" slip outside or 2" inside/2 1/2" slip outside?

The diverter, part 9, opens up 270 degrees of the water flow...

Post pics of what you have for the diverter.

I have the 2” - 2 1/2” version... you can see a bit of what I’m talking about in that exploded diagram. Here is a pic:
getting ready to replumb and add these valves myself. Did you go with them or did you contact Pentair? Someone else posted a picture of his valve he bought from Amazon with the same concern. He said the valves look to have approximately only a 1.5" opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.