3 months into my pool rebuild

Apr 17, 2017
sacramento CA
Hey there. So I just rebuilt by pool added a spa and all pentair equipment. I finished adding the last of my goodies into the panel. Yard lights, equipment lights, etc. so I wanted to see how manny amps my ET 8 is drawing when everything was on. So before I put my meter on the wire, I pulled it a little to get better access and the wire came out of the lug.
My stupid electrician never used a torque wrench to tighten the lug. Here's the pic.
2ec3c196f9267a7575f7b40e9d0bd1e5.jpg

Luckily I had only 3 beers in me and I was able to still keep my whits when that wire came out and didn't do anything stupid. I walked away and turned off the breaker in my main.

I just want to let you know that this could have been a bigger problem especially if the other hot (red wire) came out at the same time. It would have gone phase to phase in front of me, takin out my ET, possibly me, and who knows what else. I just called my PB and gave him a ration of poo. They were so apologetic. But that's too late. Serious stuff this new fangled electricity thing.

Just remember when you hook you stuff up you need a torque screwdriver to do it right. The setting for your wrench is right there in the panel. Just because it feels good with a standard screwdriver. It's always feels tighter that it really is. I could have pulled on both the hot wires and fried myself.

If the inspector doesn't ask for it? You should make him. This is just like the basic rules of firearm safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, know your target and what's behind, etc. I'm just trying to make a point.

Dog out.

Note to self - never let Dog near my ET panel....

I'm glad it all worked out for you and no animals were harmed in the course of making this thread...

:thumleft:

Yeah electricians are the worst. I've only ment a handful that are worth a darn. Even the union ones! In fact, I think they are the laziest because once they get let go they go to the hall and off they go to another contractor.

I just wanted to let everyone know that you do need to tighten everything up as it should be.

It would be a pretty sorry world without Electricians if you ask me. I know a couple who I'm proud to call friends, and the last thing they are is lazy. It's like anything else. Someone else would say the same thing about Pool Builders, or Plumbers, and it would be equally wrong, as blanket statements usually are.

I've never seen or heard of an electrician using a torque wrench or torque screwdriver on anything smaller than maybe 250mcm. Not saying they shouldn't, just saying I don't think any of them do. I'm guilty as well since I do most of my own electrical work. I worked at an electrical supply house and only sold a couple wiha insulated torque wrenches when a big customer was finally getting all their electricians properly outfitted with tools.

I am an electrician 20 years. Thanks for calling all of us lazy. Not to worry, I would never take anything I read on the forum personal :)

I can also say I've never used a torque screwdriver to tighten anything. Maybe a dozen to 20 times I've used a torque wrench to tighten bolts. But even that's few and far between.

Most of the time it's the company's fault. They try to save money and send helpers to do the work.

I'm an electrical contractor. 24 years. We have over 250 union electricians working for our 60 million dollar company. There are torque ratings for every mechanical lug in existence. For the last 5 years the inspectors watch our guys tighten the lugs to the correct torque. We don't do residential so maybe the inspectors are a little more lax with that kind of work.
689a9fa59dde7c374740eaae3aadb1b3.png

The lug on this wire wasn't even close to 15 lnch pounds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If they didn't want you to tighten the lugs to a certain setting, why would they list it on the panel enclosure? It clearly shows the torque settings and in plain English it states "See table for lug screw tightening torque values. ". You also need to torque the lug that goes into the breaker as it clearly states "see circuit breaker case marking for wire size and torque requirements."

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I know it's hard these days not to, but lack of good installation practices could get someone killed. You guys go ahead and keep on doing it they way you have been. Call your lawyer when something bad happens to that panel you just put in.

By the way, I think pentair did a great job with the way they labeled their panel. Almost any one can figure it out.

32234f5203e66e68e3d75e37d03cdcf1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.