Loose Flagstone Coping

dallasjava

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hello. I hope this is right forum. I have a loose coping piece. I would like to repair it myself. Do I just chisel the old mortar odd and then reset the it with new mortar? Is there any particular mortar to use? Are there any tips to minimize the mess so I can make the repair the without draining the entire pool? Thank you in advance.

poolcoping.jpg

You can certainly do it without draining your pool. You simply chisel or cut the existing mortar out. Use TypeS mortar with a bonding agent. There will certainly be dirt going into the pool, but you could use some various methods to avoid a real mess in the pool. I would float something with a tarp or plastic around where you work, but you'll still get pieces in the pool that you'll have to clean up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would use a diamond tile saw blade to cut out the mortar. If the stone has old mortar on the bottom, you can use the diamond blade to cut parallel cuts in the mortar in two directions to make the mortar easier to remove without damaging the stone. You can do the same thing on any mortar that is left on the bond beam. Wet the stone and the bond beam before applying the mortar, or the stone and bond beam will suck the water out of the mortar and you won't get a good bond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.