Hayward DE return o-ring size?

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I took my 6020 filter apart tonight to install the new grids I just ordered and discovered that the o-ring that fits in the groove on the PVC return pipe inside the filter has stretched and deformed.

Anyone happen to know the correct size of this o-ring that I might be able to find at Ace? Or am I better off going to local (chain) pool shops?

Otherwise, I may just take what I got and see if I can find something that lookd like about the right size ... but knowing the actual numbers would make that easier.

Thanks.

I had the same issue once. As I replaced the manifold over the pvc return pipe, I rolled the gasket and stretched it. It would no longer seal properly. I now use a small amount of o-ring lube on the pvc as well as the o-ring.

The part number for the o-ring is DEX2400Z5 for the pro grid perma glass filters.
The cost is around $6.

Your local pool shop probably has these or you can order on-line.

Hope this helps

PSG

Thanks for the part number. I have a tube of "pool lube" from the local store that I have been using ... not sure why the o-ring got messed up this time.

I do notice that this lube tends to get sticky after it has been in use ... is there something better to use? Like maybe just white lithium grease?

While the sticking may help with the seal, it makes removal and cleaning of the orings more difficult.

You must be thinking of a different part. We are talking about the o-ring that fits in a notch cut in the pvc pipe INSIDE the de filter (that the manifold slips over).

I think you are talking about the external union fittings between the multi-valve and the filter housing.

I'm always thinking about all parts :angel: :)

However contrary to 'common sense' - experience has shown to me that one is very likely to have a sealing problem, and thus a drip or leak, if you don't do the same fix to both of the bulkhead fittings :(

Do me a favor and pick up 2 of the o-rings while you're getting the one :wink: You'll eventually need it, and may end up using it sooner than you think :mrgreen:

Well if this particular o-ring had a small "drip or leak" i doubt that I would ever realize it as it is inside of the filter. If the leak were that small I do not think I would notice the minimal amount of DE that may make it back to the pool.

However, you do raise a goo point about having a spare on hand in case the next time I pull the filter apart to spray the grids, I discover another o-ring issue.

Interestingly, I called the local pool shop and he told me he did not see the o-ring on the wall in stock and recommended I just go to Ace Hardware ... so I guess that is where I will be heading tonight.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... filter.htm

Part # 16 on this diagram

The top manifold slips over the outlet elbow assembly and seals with the o-ring.
It is very easy to snag the o-ring on the edge of the manifold and stretch it as you assemble the grid pack back into the bottom half of the filter.

Without the o-ring, DE could get back into the pool especially on start-up.

I use the Teflon based Aladdin Magic Lube for the o-rings.
The silicon based Magic Lube II can also be used.
The lithium grease is petroleum based and may cause o-rings to degrade over time.

Ted's advice is correct. I ordered 2 so that I have a spare in case I damage this o-ring again.
I place the extra o-ring in an envelope and write on the outside the part number and where it is used.

PSG

Awesome. I needed this O-Ring also. Mine got stretched out in the same manner and I am seeing I decent amount of DE in the pool. This could also be due to the small tear I saw in one of my girds.

I've ordered new grids, should be here Friday.

jblauert, were you able to find the correct O-Ring at Ace Hardware? I have one less than a mile away and would much prefer going there than ordering it.

I checked 1 Ace Hardware and the only o-ring I could find was slight smaller ... although it might work. Honestly, at my last house with the same filter I am pretty sure I found something at Ace that I used (maybe not perfect). May want to check as all store stocking is different.

I found a local Leslies Pool that had one in stock {their part number is 66496 and I think it used to be 66272}. Cost was $2.39 which was cheaper than I could get one online. Found a place that had them for $0.83, but the shipping was $5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.