New Pool to me. My First test results

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello,
Got my first water sample and test results. I'm pretty happy overall but have some concerns. Using a Taylor 2006 test kit.

CYA = 100+ (The black dot wasn't visible between the 1/2 way from the bottom to the 100. So its very high!
PH=7.8
FC=11.6 (58 drops X .2) CC=.2 TC=11.8
TA=160
CH=450

It took me about an hour or so to run the sample after I pulled it from the pool. I'm concerned about the CYA being so high. Should I do a 1/2 drain or such. I don't know the history of the pool maintenance.

If you recommend a pool drain how should I go about it. I have a cartridge filter so there is no waste setting. I haven't seen a drain faucet on the piping, but will figure it out. Should I drain down to the skimmer level then fill or get a little sump pump, put in in the shallow end drain down to the bottom stair and then refill?

Thanks.

Updated Located in Central Florida (Lakeland)

Where are you located? A drain and fill will work, but I'm afraid you'll need at least 50% of the water replaced. Is R/O for pools (reverse osmosis) available in your area?

OK.. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a drain and fill. Checked the internet and there are not R/O services listed in my area. Water here is pretty cheap overall I think. $5 per 1000 gallons or so. (For both incoming and outgoing). We're planning on adding a SWCG shortly. So I'd like to get down to CYA of 80 as the max.

Draining the pool I think I'm going to put a hose with fill water to the bottom of the deep end and then pump from either the skimmer and pool pump or get a sump pump at the stairs shallow end.

I'll post some pictures. (also need to clean the cartridge filter)

That sounds like a plan, assuming your fill water is colder than your pool water it will tend to sink to the bottom, if you only draw filter water from the skimmer it will not mix as much. If your fill water is warmer than the pool water then you want to drain from the deep part.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.