Low Filter Pressure Only 5PSI - Nomally 20PSI

May 8, 2011
When I was checking my filter this evening. My filter pressure meter was only reading 5psi, Nomally 20psi. I have two skimmer inlet feeding my hayward filter and two returns. I notice when I close off one of my return lines the pressure climbs to 18-20 psi. Does this indicate a clogged line or a break in the line.

Low filter pressure could be caused by a clog in one or both of the suction lines, or by air in the pump strainer basket. It could also be caused by a broken pressure gauge.

How is the water pressure coming out of the returns?

Sounds like the line that you are closing off to get pressure back to normal is sucking air from somewhere. Is that line running from the skimmer door? Sometimes toys etc can jam the door or restrict water flow.

Return pressure is mild at best with both returns open - only 5 psi. With return #2 closed off the pressure is strong on #1 (18-20 psi). With return #1 closed Pressure is weak on #2 return (5 psi).

That does suggest a blockage somewhere. Is the filter pressure the same when you draw from skimmer #1 only as when you draw from skimmer #2 only? If the pressure is the same either way, try opening up the pump, removing the strainer basket, and checking for debris underneath. If the pressure is different on the two skimmers, then the skimmer with lower pressure has some kind of blockage.

Yes, the pressure is the same when I close either skimmer valve. And, yes I have cleaned the pump basket. The blockage would appear to be in return line #2. What type of blockage could possible be in the return line - everything thing should have been filtered?

not to contradict, but wouldn't a blockage in a return line increase the pressure? Seems like if there is no suction leak, losing pump prime, then the water has found a new place to go or the pump isn't pumping as much...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can try shuting off line #1 and leaving #2 open, then use a drain king w garden hose at the pump connection to reverse flow on #2 and see if it returns water through the skimmer with good flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.