First TF-100 results

Apr 26, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I think I need some help here. First time pool owner, so this is all new to me. I just got the TF-100 kit and ran all the tests. For some quick background the pool is a rectangular vinyl lined 20x40 with deep end - 30K gallons. I have a SWG set on 40% that runs for 10 hours when the pump runs. The pool has been open (running) for a week, but we haven't been in it yet. The SWG generator shows my salt level at about 2800 (I know I need to bring that up a bit). So here are the results:

Temp: 61
FC: 0
CC: 1
TC: 1
pH: 7.2
T/A: 80
CH: 190
CYA: 0 (the water was not cloudy at all during the test)

It sounds like maybe I need to set the SWG to superchlorinate for a cycle, but I haven't messed with anything yet. I wanted to get some advice from the experts before I change anything.

Thanks,
Shane

Welcome Shane,

If you haven't read Water Balance for SWGs in Pool School - that's a great place to start. You need to raise your CYA level to 60-80 and use liquid chlorine to bring the FC level up to 10. If you can do that tonight or first thing in the morning.... you really don't want to use the superchlorinate feature to try to raise it that much that quickly. Use liquid, faster and save your cell's useful life.

Because your CYA is 0 your shock level is 10, you need to raise it to shock level because your CC is 1. Without CYA the FC will be gone by tomorrow evening so you need to get some CYA in there ASAP. Use the "sock method" to raise the CYA.

Post back if you need clarification on anything. :)

Same time. Once you add the CYA (via sock method) your Shock level increases proportionately - see the chart.

I recommend you target 40 on your CYA, calculate using the pool calc how much that is, add it, raise your shock level accordingly, once the FC is holding overnight and the CC is gone, then you can increase the CYA up to about 70. You don't want to do it all at once because then your shock level would be that much higher.

Hope that makes sense :)

I'd say add CYA in 2 steps. 1st raise it to about 30-40ppm and complete the shock process as outlined here

Then, once you are done shocking, you can adjust CYA up to around 70ppm and continue using the swg :goodjob:

LOL...can you tell FPM taught me :oops:

Unfortunately, I don't have anything other than liquid shock the pool company left when they opened the pool last weekend. I'll have to head to the pool store tomorrow for stabilizer before I can start anything. I've still got a lot of reading to do!
Thanks

I got everything I needed at Walmart. I shocked to 10 and started adding CYA in a sock through the skimmer (I have an auto safety cover that makes it difficult to dangle the sock in front of a return). I'm starting with 10lbs of CYA (from the calculator) to get the CYA up to 40 and reevaluate everything. I'll keep adding half gallon of 12.5% bleach each evening to keep the chlorine up until the CYA is up. Does this sound like the correct approach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I retested everything and the FC was waaaay up - 18.5! The CYA is still reading zero, but it's definitely increasing because the water was at least cloudy in the tube this time. The black dot disappeared as the last amount of the mixture went in. Last time it was clear all the way. The CC is down to 0.5, so I guess that's an improvement. I checked the FC again this morning and it's up again to 20.5. I haven't added anything other than what the SWG is doing. Should that be shut off for a while? Is my FC too high? Is it safe to swim in that? Water temp is up to 80 now.
Thanks

You should definitely turn the SWG off for a little while and when you turn it back on have it set to a lower percentage. I wouldn't swim right at the moment, though the FC level should come down quickly with the SWG off, so swimming will most likely be fine by this afternoon.

Thanks. I shut the SWG off. It was on 60%. I'll try it at 40% when I turn it back on. I hope the FC is down by this afternoon. My wife and kids are all planning on swimming this evening for the first time since we got the pool. If I tell them we can't, I might get kicked out of the house!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.