Ok....I think I'm ready!

lynns

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2010
New Jersey
This is my first full season with the pool. I got my TF-100 kit and I'm excited to try it out. When the pool was closed in the fall I failed to watch what the crew did. Now I'm hoping I know what goes back where. I'm familiar with the putting the cartridge back in the filter and the baskets back in the skimmer and the pump. There are some other small parts that I'm not positive where they go but once the cover is off the pool, I may be able to figure them out. When everything is back together do I just fill the pool up to the proper level, fire up the pump and start the water balancing process? I read the "pool opening" thread but I'm just second guessing myself. Am I forgetting anything? Below are pics of the equipment.
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/LSchuda/poolstuff.jpg[/img][img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/LSchuda/poolequipment.jpg[/img]

Sounds like you've got everything covered. Most of those pieces in the pics will make sense once you can look at everything. If there's something you can't figure out just post back here and we'll help you out.

Just hook everything back up, close all the drains and fill the pool back up. Then check for leaks and turn the pump on.

I finally got to start putting it all together. Just a couple questions:

What is this blue thing in my skimmer? I'm afraid to break something if I pull it out. Is it threaded?
IMAG0071.jpg

Also, the lid to the skimmer is an ugly shade of yellow now? Will this go back to white once the sun is hitting it again?
IMAG0072.jpg

The blue thing is a gizmo, basically a winterizing plug that can expand and contract to absorb ice expansion so ice won't crack the skimmer. They are usually threaded, but the threads don't always thread into anything, ie it is often held in just by being squeezed in. You should be able to unscrew it easily.

If the lid doesn't turn white again on it's own you can probably use a vitamin C tablet and some water to turn it white again.

My first test kit #'s: (BTW, I loved using the TF-100!!)
TC: 0
PH: 7.0
TA: 80
CH: 100
CYA: 0

The pool water is green. I'm assuming it is algae although we do have A LOT of pollen. Do I shock first before I worry about the other #'s? If so, while shocking do I leave the SWG off?

I would start shocking and start adding CYA today. For the moment target a CYA level around 30 to 40. Then when the pool is cleaned up raise the CYA level further.

I prefer to leave the SWG off when shocking since you need to add chlorine manually anyway to get FC to come up quickly enough, and because the SWG interferes with doing the overnight FC loss test, but you can use the SWG to supplement your chlorine during shocking if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.