Pool only a year old. What are these stains?

Apr 21, 2010
This pic shows all three stains. The white stuff on the stone. The dark areas in the mortar and the "sandy" looking stuff as well. The area is completely dry, even though it looks wet. Can you tell me what is going on?

Attachments

• Stains3.JPG
    Stains3.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 262
Here's three WAG's......take 'em for what it's worth. :lol: :lol:

The lighter area on the bullnosing looks like a chemical spill of some type....possibly acid but I doubt it.

Ditto for the sandy looking area in the grout.

The gray might be where the darker thinset underneath the tile is showing through. In other words, the tile man left too much thinset that squeezed up between the tiles and the colored grouting didn't cover it up.

I still have virtually no idea what they are. To remove them I would try......

1. Clorox...full strength, then rinse

2. 3:1 solution of water/muriatic acid. Don't leave it on the grout for more than say about 30 seconds. It'll prbably foam up right away on grout so keep as much off it as you can.

Sorry. Yes. It is a pool that has a saltwater chlorine generator. The stains on the coping don't concern me as much as the stains on the concrete/mortar/grout or whatever it is. Those really, really scare me because they were pretty and white (white-ish) when new.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.