Columbia 12G sand filter high PSI

May 8, 2011
I have an above ground pool and have had the sand filter for 2 seasons (this is my 3rd). Last 2 years we ran Zeolite (sand alternative) in the filter and it worked like a dream; psi between 10 and 13 and backwashed whenever it hit 13. Great clarity and water balance both years. This year we opened and psi is running between 13 and 15. Backwashed A LOT and can't get the psi down. Replaced with new Zeolite. No leaks from hoses or tank. Motor seems in good condition. Nothing in the lower "skimmer thing", nothing in skimmer basket....Help!!! Columbia 12G tank Econo 3/4 HP motor

Welcome to the forum :lol: I would disregard it. You obviously have a good handle on the management of your pool and are monitoring it closely. It a fairly small increase and may simply be an innaccuracy of the guage.

If it is bugging you to death (as it likely would me :mrgreen: ), look for some type of new restriction on the pressure side of your system..... a new, smaller eyeball, etc.

also, sometimes the guages lose accuracy... so that may just be the new normal reading for that guage!
Think about an older car speedometer- sometimes the needle won't move until you're driving 10-15 mph, and then it works just fine (just with that inaccuracy)

Thank you all for the responses. Because I do worry that something will go terribly awry when the pool is running while I am not home, I am going to try a new gauge to see how that works. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.