Pool Turned Brown!!!!!!!

Jun 18, 2007
Spring, Texas
Ok, so PB finally got around to grinding down the flagstone on my spa overflow today...came home to flagstone dust all in the pool and the water is brown....I started brushing the steps and woof...brown dust just disipates like baby powder. The spa is even worse, I turned the suction to full spa to try and get it clean, but the powder just dissolves when I brush it.

So, should I just let the pump run and hope the water filters itself or should I try to vaccum?????My water was looking so good and now this!!!!! :evil:

Hi, Jay,

What a bummer. My guess is much of it will settle to the bottom so vacuuming slowly may remove it quicker once it settle. Meanwhile run your pump 24/7 and keep an eye on filter pressure....backwash when required.

Thanks,

went ahead and vacuumed and cranked the pump on full. I'll keep an eye out...unfortunately no backwash here...but it is starting to clear up a little.

It didn't look this bad even after initial fill.....oh well, what else did I have to do this weekend? :roll:

Yeah Dave, tell me about it....guess I have all the luck.

Ran pump all night...not much better today. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow. I will vacuum again today....lots of debris settled in the spa again and on the steps and benches in the pool.....I brushed it down again, but that stuff is like baby powder and just clouds up into the water.

But Hey! The overflow on the spa looks much better. :hammer:

You may want to try a flocculant. We normally don't recommend them, but in this case it may be the easiest and fastest way to clear the pool. It combines with the debris and makes it clump together so that it is heavier and falls to the bottom, then it can be vacuumed to waste. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Keep us informed :)

Thanks mbar,

if it doesn't clear up by weekend's end, then I might go that route. I have been brushing about every 1 1/2 hours since last night (except for some sleep time!) and it seems to be getting less and less as far as the powder goes. So the filter seems to be doing it's job....a couple ore days and I think we'll be cleared up.

thanks again for the advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know if it is worth the investment for a one time clean-up but I use Pool Buster Max pool vac with the silt and sand filter. Had to order that smaller mesh filter separately. I have a long weeping wall that is made of sandstone and aggregate rocks and when I hose them off to get bird droppings off some of the sand falls in the pool and I get the brown powder all over the pool bottom.

The PB Max with that filter sucks up about 95% of all the sediment. Takes me about 45 minutes and I have to empty the silt bag numerous times but the pool returns back to nice clear water and clean bottom pool. In fact, it does such a good job I don't even use my Polaris cleaner any more. Saves $$ as I don't ever run the booster pump for it any longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.