New Build - League City, TX

wamaha

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
Well, the wife and I have bit the bullet, and have contracted with Pearland Pools for our build. We found them to be very easy people to work with, not pushy one way or another, and basically just educated us in the process. We interviewed Blue Haven, Platinum, and Backyard thru the process. We signed this morning, and are hoping to start digging in the next week or two.

Our pool will be an "L" shape due to how our backyard is laid out. Between the detached garage, and the easements we are dealing with (10' utility in back, 5' SLE on side), we pretty much squeezed in as much as we could. Specs are:

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS:
*Pool Size: 19’ x 36’6”
Pool Area: 431 Sq. Ft.
Pool Depth: 3’6” X 6’
Pool Perimeter: 103 Ln. Ft.
*400 Sq. Ft. Spraydecking
*Top existing patio w/ Spraydeck (386 Sq. Ft.)

EQUIPMENT:
Filter: 425 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter by Hayward; 3 yr. warranty
Pool Pump: 1.0 HP Tristar by Hayward; 3 yr. warranty
Waterfall Pump: 1.0 HP Super II by Hayward; 3 yr. warranty
Skimmer: (2) Hayward Automatic Surface Skimmer with built in Overflow
Waterfill Line: Letro Leveler
Main Drains: Anti-Vortex 8" Drain (2 in pool)
*Pool Light: (1) Colorlogic LED Pool Light By Hayward; 1 yr. warranty
Inlets: (5) Upper & Lower Pentair Adjustable Eyelets
Cleaner: Polaris 280 w/ booster pump; 1yr. warranty
Chlorinator: Rainbow 320 Automatic Chlorinator
*Sanitation: Delta UV sanitation system; 3 yr. warranty
Timer: Intermatic Dual Time clock; 1 yr. warranty
Steel Schedule: #3 (3/8”) on 8” Center
Beam: 4 Bar Box Beam #4 (1/2”) Steel
Gunite: 6.1 (Sacks/Sand) Ratio; 7000 psi; The gunite structure of the pool is warranted
for the lifetime of your ownership through Modern Method Gunite and Pearland Pools, Inc.
Coping: Flagstone
Waterline Tile: 6” Waterline Tile – from standard stock
Trim Tile: 1" X 1" Standard Trim Tile on steps and benches
*5’ x 10’ tanning ledge w/ (2) bubblers and (1) umbrella sleeve
*100 Ln. Ft. Area Drains (run to rear)
*Plaster: WetEdge Luna Quartz; 10 yr. warranty
2-ton moss rock waterfall and beam (includes booster pump and plumbing/electrical hook-up)
Chemical Start-up and Pool School
Pool Care Equipment (Brush, Pole, Net, Water Testing Strips)
Plumbing and electrical line runs included.
City Permit Fees Included.
HOA Application included.
Fence Removal and Re-Installation included.
Final site clean-up included

Any thoughts?
[attachment=0:2n830uqh]Design.jpg[/attachment:2n830uqh]

Attachments

• Design.jpg
    Design.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 1,534
Looks nice! Go ahead and order a high quality test kit such as a TF 100 or a Taylor k2006. Test strips are often unreliable and can be difficult to read. A drop based test kit will give more accurate results and put you in control of your pool.

zea3 said:
Looks nice! Go ahead and order a high quality test kit such as a TF 100 or a Taylor k2006. Test strips are often unreliable and can be difficult to read. A drop based test kit will give more accurate results and put you in control of your pool.

Put it on my list. I have been making me a list for the last month or so of "stuff", mainly from "snooping" around here. We are first time pool owners, so all of this is pretty Greek to us (and a bit overwhelming....)

Thanks for that, wasn't down there, but is now!

Question for you folks:
We are going to start digging on Monday, and are kicking around the idea of adding facilities (toilet and sink only) to our detached garage to keep the kiddos from running back and forth thru the house (and to keep other "stuff" out of our pool!).

I am planning on having the plumber working with our pool builder handle this for us, but since I have NO idea what I am talking about, I thought I would throw this out there to see what kind of ball park I would/should expect, keep him honest type of thing.

As you are looking at the pic (above), we were hoping to put the bathroom in the back left corner of the garage. The pool equipment will be just outside of the same area (figured this would make the most since, since there will be water and probably some sort of a drain back there (again, I have NO idea what I am talking about). The garage has a concrete floor, and the area is on the raised part of the garage, so I would guess there is ~8" (4" rise + 4" floor) on concrete that needs to be punched thru.

Is this doable? Can you run sewer thru the lines located @ or near a pump, or does it need its own line? Can we tie into the pool equipment to get fresh water?

If its doable......
Any guesstimates on plumbing only? I can get a cheap toilet and sink @ Home Depot, so this would be rough plumbing only.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Talked to my builder today, and my garage toilet idea wasn't exactly how I had it planned out.....No drainage from pool equipment. I have to run my own sewer line, and we are looking at about 120' and we have to go under or thru a driveway in order to tap into the house main. MAJOR project just to run the waste line.......Food for thought future pool owners in a cookie cutter neighborhood. Needless to say, the garage bath is off the table for now.

Any who - our PB came out yesterday with the permit, and he did they layout. At 8AM this morning, the excavation crew showed up and got to digging. Pretty neat to watch those guys work. Steel crew was in the area, and got finished up early on another job, so they stopped by and dropped the metal in. Plumber due out in the AM to do the stubs. Inspection on Monday, then we are in line to get gunite Wednesday/Thursday. Moving right along!

IMG00152-20110520-0854.jpg

IMG00154-20110520-0932.jpg

IMG00160-20110520-1553.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjItMjAxMTA1MjEtMDcyOS5qcGc.jpg

Have you checked if there is a cleanout somewhere and tap there. You could also tap in to sewer pipe where it comes out of the house. I was about to dig a 300 ft trench to street until I found a cleanout 100 ft from planned pool house. Just a thought. Nice design.

spillmar said:
Have you checked if there is a cleanout somewhere and tap there. You could also tap in to sewer pipe where it comes out of the house. I was about to dig a 300 ft trench to street until I found a cleanout 100 ft from planned pool house. Just a thought. Nice design.

Yep, unfortunately, there is only 1 per lot out here, and ours is nestled in the front yard between the driveway and a side walk leading up to the front door. My nieghbors would be highly convienent (wouldn't have go under or thru the driveway)......but I don't think I'm gonna take a chance with that one. I have about 120' from where I want it to the house main, if it wasn't for the driveway, it wouldn't be a biggy. I haven't given up, but don't think I will get it done in time for opening up.

Plumbers showed up bright and early Saturday morning (to my brides dismay), and were finished up with the stubs around 11.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjgtMjAxMTA1MjItMTgzMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjctMjAxMTA1MjItMTgyOS5qcGc.jpg

Inspection Monday, and hopefully gunite Wednesday/Thursday.

Sure was nice to see these fella's bright and early!

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzMtMjAxMTA1MjctMDc0MC5qcGc.jpg

Here @ 7AM, gone by noon. Didn't get to see much, but what I did see was pretty neato.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzctMjAxMTA1MjctMTIxMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzgtMjAxMTA1MjctMTIxMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzktMjAxMTA1MjctMTIxMi5qcGc.jpg

Nice to see our idea starting to take shape!
PB said they will install the equipment mid next week.

Moving right along!

Finally had some movement this week. Gunite week is not fun at all.....
Plumbers came yesterday, and made a mess of things.
Electricians came today, and tried to top the mess the plumbers made.....

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTItMjAxMTA2MDMtMTcwMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODktMjAxMTA2MDMtMTcwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTEtMjAxMTA2MDMtMTcwMC5qcGc.jpg

Equipment got set as well.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTUtMjAxMTA2MDMtMTk0My5qcGc.jpg

I thought this was a pretty neat idea. PB includes a light package @ the equipment area. I didn't know this was part of the package, and since I've never owned a pool before, don't know how useful it will be, but hey, at least I know the PB isn't cutting corners, even if this is a small one.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTQtMjAxMTA2MDMtMTk0My5qcGc.jpg

Next week, plumbing and electrical inspections, tile, coping, and waterfall rock.

Couple more weeks, and we will be able to splash!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little frustrated with my PB right now..... We were supposed to have tile and coping done last week, and NADA happened. They indicated that there were scheduling issues with the subs, so instead of being ahead of schedule like we were, we are now on schedule (BOOOO). Apparently the crews are so busy right now things are getting bumped back.
Since we are still on "thier" schedule that was provided, I can't gripe too much, BUT I WANT MY POOL :).

Hopefully, we will make up some ground this week. We are still hopeful for a July 4th swim party.

Building a pool really tries your patience.......

Clean up crew showed up bright and early this morning to haul off a load of clay to make way for the stone and tile guys.

Sure was happy to see these guys this morning!
utf-8BSU1HMDA4OTAtMjAxMTA2MTUtMDk1My5qcGc.jpg

They got all the tile hung today, and some of the flag cut.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODAtMjAxMTA2MTUtMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzktMjAxMTA2MTUtMTc1OS5qcGc.jpg

Not great pics of the flag due to the dust, but we picked Arizona Moss for our coping. Should be some pinks, tans, and browns. We're thinking it will go well with the tile and the waterfall.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODEtMjAxMTA2MTUtMTkyMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODItMjAxMTA2MTUtMTkyMy5qcGc.jpg

Should finish up the flag tomorrow, and move on to the waterfall.

Getting closer for us :)

Well, day two of the rock work did not bring us a finished product, but I talked to our builder today, and we aren't scheduled for deck work till the first part of next week, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'm about done wishing/hoping for this thing to move faster.....it is what it is.

These rock people are real workers! It was pretty impressive watching these little guys man handle these bolders....

Waterfall taking shape:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODMtMjAxMTA2MTYtMTYxMC5qcGc.jpg

Waterfall part deaux:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODYtMjAxMTA2MTYtMTkwNy5qcGc.jpg

Better shot of our coping. Da wife is pretty happy with her color selections so far, which is always a good thing.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODctMjAxMTA2MTYtMTkwOC5qcGc.jpg

We shall see what tomorrow brings!

Waterfall and coping are complete.

Waterfall
utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTMtMjAxMTA2MTctMTkwOC5qcGc.jpg

Completed coping #1:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTQtMjAxMTA2MTctMTkwOC5qcGc.jpg

Completed coping #2
utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTYtMjAxMTA2MTctMTkxMC5qcGc.jpg

Decking form scheduled for Monday, and inspection Tuesday, and pour on Wednesday. Weather pending.... Kinda figures, we haven't had any significant rain in Houston in 150 or so days, and the week we are to pour our decking calls for 40%-60% showers the majority of the week. Mother Nature has a SICK sense of humour. Not all bad though, maybe it will get us off our water rationing......

reindeerboy said:
I would love to ship some of our water down to you. We are flooding up here in ND. CRAZY weather!

We would take all you got, and THEN some.

Crazy that we are actually HOPING for a Depression to come sit over us for a day or two......

Acid guys came around noonish, got her scrubbed up and dropped the hoses in. They kinda looked at my bride a little funny when she took this pic:

utf-8BSU1HMDA5NjAtMjAxMTA2MjgtMTQ1My5qcGc-1.jpg

I was pretty happy when I got home, and saw this kind of progress after 6ish hours. I'm guessing we had some pretty good water pressure during the day. I'm guessing we should be filled around midnight, which would be about 12 hours or so.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTUtMjAxMTA2MjgtMTgyNC5qcGc.jpg

Getting closer...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.