Plugging a hole in PVC pipe

carlscan26

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm contemplating moving some connections for the LQ around. I want to try putting the suction tube into the drain plug opening In the pump but this will leave me with a hole in the suction pipe between the pump and the valve that switches from the skimmer to the cleaner. Any ideas short of cutting and patching the pipe with a fitting etc? I have a dear mr pool builder pad so that option is not very appealing...

You can simply cut the LQ hose up near the PVC and insert a barbed plug into the hose. I did that with mine for a while and it was so unprofessional looking I considered building a birdhouse (or something) around it so people wouldn't see it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I finally did it correctly and neatly with a PVC coupling....took me about twenty minutes!! :roll: :roll:

There are "patches" available for PVC- or you can even make one, depending on the size pipe you have;
the patches are 2 pieces that wrap around the pipe, with a rubber gasket, then a screw to hold together.
You can do your own by cutting a coupling lengthwise, then glue on to outer shell...
but, as duraleigh points out, the actualy cut and install normal coupling shouldn't take long... and much more professional appearance!

Almost anything will plug a hole on the suction side. If you think you might ever use that hole again, you can use several things as plugs. Hot glue, caulk or plumbers sealer will all seal the hole and prevent air leaks plus they can be removed at any time. My preference is hot glue since the drying time is very short.

duraleigh said:
You can simply cut the LQ hose up near the PVC and insert a barbed plug into the hose.

This will be my temporary solution. A permanent PVC coupling is not ideal if I ever need to do any other work in this area.

I like the threaded plug idea - I could match the thread type for the pump plug and then the connector for the LQ could work in either spot.

Where do you find a patch for a 2" pipe? I've seen a shark bite thing at HD but that was for smaller pipes. Making one sounds easy enough actually - any specific kind of rubber to use for the gasket?

Thanks all!

pretty much any rubber will do- if it is 2 in pipe, you can make a patch with a 6-8 in long 2 1/2 in pipe, line with 1/8 - 1/4 in thick rubber... (I'd use 1/8 in, wrap around pipe twice, then clamp 2 halves of 2 1/2 in pipe around it...)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.