mustard algae

Here we are another pool season again, hard to believe...time flies. I have been avoiding getting rid of some mustard algae for too long. Like this is going on 3 years anyway I'm ready to really get rid of it.

Here are my readings

fc-27
cc-0
tc-27
ph-7.7
ta-110
cya-90

I have been at mustard algae shock level for 5 days, brushing several times a day and I like to think it's gone, but I've thought that before. How long should I stay at that shock level. I don't want to drain refill to lower cya yet and lose some of my shock.Or should I go ahead and lower cya

With CYA at 90, mustard algae shock level is 49 to 52!

It is probably simpler to lower the CYA level now, than go up to that high an FC level.

To completely kill off mustard algae you need to go up to mustard algae shock level for 24 hours, brush the entire pool very throughly while at that level, soak any pool toys in the pool while at that level or wipe them down with a dilute bleach solution, and run all bathing suits through the laundry.

As long as there will be at least a foot of water left in the shallowest spot, drain away.

If your vacuum hose is leak free that will work. If the vacuum hose has an air leak you will probably lose prime after a while. With an above ground pool you can often just disconnect the return hose from the pump and let the pool drain through that, though that does depend on what depth your return is at. Or you can setup a syphon with a garden hose.

Also don't forget to get behind light niches and under any removable ladders (this may not apply to your AGP). The algae loves to hide out in shady areas and will simply return growing from there if you don't expose it to high levels of chlorine wherever it hides.

Once you get your pool all cleaned up (and adding just a little to the above), keeping your chlorine level at or slightly above Richard's FC/CYA chart at all times will virtually eliminate the algae ever returning.

Mustard algae is kicking my rear end. After trying my best 3 times a day adding bleach, scrubbing, and checking chlorine levels for 5 days, it is still there. I think I might not be scrubbing hard enough, the skimmer/brush pole extended is kind of flimsy, I noticed when at mustard algae shock level my ph was around 8.5 or higher. but now it has fallen back down to normal.

I'm ready to kill this stuff. Just getting frustrated.

Florida Panhandle here. I see we have the annual mustard algae problem. My epoxy painted (I'll never do that again) pool gets mustard algae in July every year. Since I try to only use the BBB method, I am ashamed that I use Yellow Out once a year. While it is a halogen, be aware of how the cycle works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
billybrobob said:
Florida Panhandle here. I see we have the annual mustard algae problem. My epoxy painted (I'll never do that again) pool gets mustard algae in July every year. Since I try to only use the BBB method, I am ashamed that I use Yellow Out once a year. While it is a halogen, be aware of how the cycle works.
Unless someone is swimming in lake/pond water where they are picking up that algae in their swimsuit and then introducing it into your pool each year, then you should be able to completely get rid of it so that it does not return, though this requires higher than usual shock levels and putting in all pool equipment (poles, etc.) into the pool. The algae may hide in light niches or in removable ladders so you would need to get behind those and expose shock levels of chlorine in those areas. Note that if it is yellow/mustard algae it will be on the shady side of the pool as that algae does not like direct sunlight. If instead you are seeing it more widespread, it is more likely to be pollen where a skimmer sock will help to remove it.

Here are my readings tonight, Its been a busy weekend. I think the mustard algae I thought I had might just be pollen. Would an overnight chlorine loss test tell me if it is in fact algae. I haven't added chlorine since last Thur. but I took a reading on Sun. it was 15.
I guess I should have posted this in the algae section. :oops: Feel free to move

fc-11.5
cc-0
tc-11.5
ta-90
ph-7.5
cya-40
ch-120

I had no chlorine loss overnight.. I even checked it three times. :party:

I am glad this is not mustard algae, but is it normal for pollen to just settle on the pool bottom in the low spots (I didn't use the perfect pool bottom liner thing) and I have used a skimmer sock(wifes panty hose sock)and it didn't seem to make a difference.

If the pollen gets waterlogged and sinks before making its way to the skimmer, then that's possible but may point to poor surface circulation or possibly windy conditions pushing everything away from the skimmer. If you are able to collect any and feel it, pollen will feel squishy while algae will feel slimy. If you have a microscope, you can look at it where pollen is usually round and sometimes spiky, but solid in appearance while algae is usually oblong and somewhat translucent.

If you used clarifier or other treatments that break the surface tension of the water they also cause the pollen to drop to the bottom of the pool. Water circulation will cause anything that drops to the bottom to collect in the low spots of the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.