120 volt variable speed pump choices?

May 7, 2011
Newbie here looking for advice :) .

I'm looking to replace the 1HP Hayward pump (and probably the filtration system too) for my 13.7K gallon above-ground pool, so it's a good time to see what's out there that'd be more energy efficient. FWIW, I'm currently thinking of switching to a Hayward Xstream 100 filter system. The wiring at the pumpsite is 120V, and I'm not willing to contemplate rewiring to 240V (this is basically an in ground configuration, so change is hard).

As I look around at pump choices, I read that I'll save lots of $$$ if I run a variable speed pump. But the vast majority of the available VS pool pumps are 240V. About the only hit I get from google on "variable speed pool pump 120 volt" is for "Balboa Gemini Plus II Series" which is labeled a "bath pump" (note sure whether this is a showstopper).

Another major question I have is: is VS essential, or is 2-speed sufficient to obtain "good enough" energy-cost savings? Simple logic tells me that 2-speed should be good enough, provided the lower speed gives me one turnover per day. But there are enough claims and counterclaims floating around, it's easy to get confused, and I am. And no, I'm not anxious to drop $1,000+ on a pump, but if the savings would pay for the pump in a few years, why not?

I've also found http://www.energysavingpumps.com/ which looks interesting.

I'm open to advice!

Thanks, kaylgee

Welcome to TFP!

A two speed pump can get you much of the energy savings that a variable speed pump will for a significantly lower up front cost. Unless your electric rates are quite high (>$0.20 or $0.25 per kwh) a two speed pump is the most cost effective choice.

None of the variable speed pumps I like are available in 115 volt versions. But the Pentair WFDS-3 3/4 HP dual speed pump is 115 volts only.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.