Are wall foam/liner pads/foam coving worth it?

Buying my first pool here and going to be doing a DIY install, and figured getting it right the first time is best... so are wall foam, liner pads and/or foam coping worth the couple hundred they cost?

Does wall foam keep the water noticeable warmer? Does it protect the liner walls better?

Do floor liner pads keep the water noticeable warmer? Do they protect the liner floor better? Do they provide a better looking bottom to walk on?

Is foam coving a lot easier to install than sand or dirt coving? Does it protect the liner better?

If you think it is worth it, is there any brand that is better or easier to use? and Where would you get it at?

None of that makes the pool significantly warmer. They all help keep heat in just a little tiny bit, not enough to notice.

Foam makes the pool easier to install and gives the pool a better "feel". None of it especially protects the liner compared to a professional install using some other technique, but foam does make it easier for a novice to avoid some problems that could damage the liner eventually (like rocks sticking up out of the ground that a pro would catch and a novice might miss).

I think they are worth it IMO. I think it looks better and feels better considering I've had pools with and without it. I would use it but it's not necesary.

I just bought the liner pad from pool supply world. This place has had the best prices as far as the pool cove and pad (as well as the new beaded receivers I needed). I ordered it yesterday and it came today.... that was amazingly fast!!! I was astounded to feel how heavy it is, yet how thin the pad itself looked. I imagined it looking like foam or something. What it looks like is the stuff people use for batting while making a quilt. Weird stuff.... really.
I figure I am going to make sure it is all done right and with all precautions the first time around... because I know the first time will be the last time I ever get my husband to do this... especially if it is a huge major pain for him. LOL I am lucky to get him to put it up once and if the liner goes or we have an issue below the liner... well, he will not be real motivated to fix the issue. For this reason, and for the fact that liners are expensive (in my opinion) I will be taking every precaution that I can. He doesn't like that I have been researching stuff though.... because I know more than him and he doesn't like that. ;) (sigh) Wait until I explain that he has to quadruple check quadruple times on the leveling of the ground :D

I've had the foam cove, Happy Bottom (1/8" closed cell foam), & foam wall liner in the pool going on 16 years now. I'm sold on it all. I'm a firm believer that with a solar cover, the foam wall will loose less heat at night than without. I've done repeated tests with a friends pool on heat loss, they don't have any foam, just sand. Just my experience with them.

When we changed out the liner a couple years ago, we installed foam on the walls only.

Until this year we used solar panels but no solar cover (too much trouble, imo). I can't tell any difference in temperature-the difference could be that our cove and floors are not insulated. Next liner, we WILL get a cove and put foam on the floor as I hope on the floor it will prevent the little dips/pits that seem to always form in the sand. I can definitely see where it would feel much better on the feet as the wall definitely has a better feel to it.

I used 1/2" polystyrene wall board on my pool bottom and also on the walls all taped well and a cove moulding I an attest as this was my first pool and first install that it feels great on the feet and knowing my liner is not touching the metal wall gives me some peace of mind that the liner will last a bit longer , in my opinion extra insurance was worth every dollar spent and labor installing it !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.