Worried about the installer and also the skimmer

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Both pool shops in my area, that sell and install pools seem to only have ONE guy that comes out to install the pool. I talked to an excavator (not related to the companies) and he said he never saw more than two guys do one, and usually only one person did it. All the vids I have watched, shows more than one darn guy doing this. Should I be worried?

Also, to those who had their pools installed, what all should I expect? At the least, they should have a lazer level, correct? Should I expect them to have a surveyor's level?

Lastly, at the shop that I want to get my pool from, they said that when they install a pool, they fill it about 10 inches, then let it sit overnight. And the next day, I make sure there is still 10 inches. They said, this saves money if there is a defect in the liner, since they could then replace it, but I would not have to pay to have it filled again, since the water is not included in the install guarantee. That all made good sense to me, until I started reading how it is important to fill the pool half way or more, before cutting for the skimmer. How is that possible, if they are only gonna fill it 10 inches, then be done! I am under the assumption that on the next day, if the 10 inches are still there, I would simply have the water delivered and be set. But until about half way through this post, I just remembered, then no one would be here to start the pump for the first time, or anything like that. Obviously I am going to call, and see if they do or don't come back out the next day. :roll:

I can assure you, I almost never wear my tool belt til I'm involved in the job and know what I need to carry around with me that day- tool belt is just extra weight til you sort out the job!
Some people look concerned when I show up at construction sites in a Cavalier, instead of a truck- but when I'm getting material I AM in a truck!
So don't judge the book by the cover, basically...
As far as the skimmer concerns- I'd definitely discuss the whole scenario through with PB- and find out what he's planning to do and what he expects you to do- normally, I think, they will at least assist in getting pump/filter setup and operational, and first chemical addition!

They should have a level, it might be a lazer, it might be a surveyors transit, it might be a water level (vertical sticks with a water tube between them).

One person can do the job, more people take less clock time, but often end up putting in more total hours.

They should come by on the second day to finish up, cut the openings, etc.

Usually they will expect you to be home to turn off the water when the fill is complete. The water can just sit there for 24 hours if you won't be there, but I wouldn't go longer than that without someone starting to add chemicals.

Ok, I gave the pool shop a call (The Great Escape). They said they do NOT come back out to do anything the next day. On day one, a guy comes out, installs the pool, fills the pool with 10 inches of water, then cuts the skimmer hole and all. (I guess that he assumes all the fittings will not be leaking?!) Then, the next day, I check to see if there is still 10 inches of water, if there isn't, I call them to replace liner. (this saves me from wasting money on the water delivery). If there is still 10 inches, I have the water company come out and fill it. It is up to me to turn the pump on, add the starter chemicals, etc...

I will say this, The shop said they wouldn't want the installer showing me the ins and outs of the pump, filter, and chemicals. He is an installer, nothing more. They actually hold free "classes" every Tuesday. During "pool school", they teach us all the basics, with everyone being able to ask questions. I am advised to go to a class before getting the install.

I expressed my concern about how I have read seemingly everywhere, that the skimmer should not be cut until half way full. He obviously said that it was not true, and that they do 95% of their installs this way, and never have problems with wrinkling or pulling at the skimmer. Sigh, I don't know what to do. They are the biggest company in my area, and also have the best deal, seem the most knowledgeable, and have the best liner (30mil, instead of 25, plus a $500 warranty on the initial seam). And I already know if I ask any of the competitors, they will just put down how this shop does things. (These places are like car dealerships!) sigh...

I think your focusing too much on one aspect of the install, I personally would be more concerned about the site preperation and the equipment pad plumbing and wiring. The bigger point is If they are going ot stand behind their work, particularly after you have pointed out the concern about the way they do things. As to the school, it is probably worth it for you to go , as it will teach you the basics, although it will be "the pool store way" a lot of that knowledge can tbe transfered over as long as you ignore most of their advice on maintaining water balance and types of chemicals you need (just don't buy any chemicals while your there, if you do it before your pool is set up you have a good excuse to put off buying).

Ike

They cut my skimmer holes the same day...started filing with two garden hoses around noon and the crew came back around 5pm with about 10 or so inches of water in the bottom. 10" in a flat bottom AGP should be more than enough weight to vertically stretch the liner, unles it is really cold out. If the liner is sitting against the cove and the liner is mostly leaning up against the wall you should be safe to cut the openings.

Here is a "morning" pic and a "5pm" pic...hope this helps put your mind at ease

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Isaac-1 said:
I think your focusing too much on one aspect of the install, I personally would be more concerned about the site preperation and the equipment pad plumbing and wiring. The bigger point is If they are going ot stand behind their work, particularly after you have pointed out the concern about the way they do things. As to the school, it is probably worth it for you to go , as it will teach you the basics, although it will be "the pool store way" a lot of that knowledge can tbe transfered over as long as you ignore most of their advice on maintaining water balance and types of chemicals you need (just don't buy any chemicals while your there, if you do it before your pool is set up you have a good excuse to put off buying).

Ike

Thanks, I am sure you are right. I take researching things to the extreme. When I did research for a new TV, I took so long, I had to wait for the next model to come out! But, I did end up with a great TV, and no regrets. I usually have buyer's remorse, lol. I am pretty comfortable with the excavator that will be doing the work, he has been doing pools for yrs, and has an excavating company, not just pool installs. Building the retaining wall is the biggest obstacle. I have, what looks like nutgrass in parts of my yard, so I am taking no chances, and buying a gorilla pad. And the pump will be relatively close to the house, so I hope to be able to get an outlet just installed on the side of the house, instead of run out into the yard.

Just wanted to say that we purchased a pool from The Great Escape late last summer and we had a mostly positive experience (the negatives have nothing to do with the install). However, we had three men come and install rather than just one. They had to come from a substantial distance away (3 or 4 hours I believe) and they were in and out in about 3 hours, including having to excavate up to 18 inches at the top end of the pool. They used a surveyors-type level to check everything. While they were excavating and building the pool, they had two hoses running into a small intex "bubble" pool and when they were ready they moved the hoses to the pool and pumped the water from the small pool into the pool. By the time they left, there was at least a foot of water in there (but we only have a 21' pool). We had no issues with wrinkles or anything.

Fortunately, I grew up with a pool, so I already knew what to do and expect with startup. However, I had a ton of questions since I had never had a pool built...but I just contacted the excavator/builder directly and worked through them with all of my questions.

I was a bit concerned about how quickly they had the pool set up (it was late in the day and there was a storm rolling in, so they were definitely in a hurry) but so far everything has been fine. I had no doubt these guys had been building pools for quite some time and they didn't stop moving until they were finished.

My install was 2003, 30 ft round AGP, I did the electical, put the post where they wanted at the pool site. Went to work, came home, there was a pool full of water. they used tank trucks to fill it. I hung the timer on the post and plugged it in to power and plugged the pump into it. Second day after install, a young guy came out and gave me about a half-hour go-over on chemistry, winterize, unwinterize, etc. Of course chemistry was trichlor, dichlor, etc. It was a year and a half ago these folks here turned me onto BBB, been there since; totally solved my midsummer algae bloom. Haven't shocked since except for spring startup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great Escape installed our pool too - my brother put it in when he lived here. Unfortunately, one end is an inch lower than the other end. So watch that with them. I think that's why my liner has wrinkles in it. The Bloomington store wasn't there at that time, so the Peoria store is the one that he went through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.