Subpanel on a post?

Simbilis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
I've run conduit for a pool feeder circuit to the edge of a concrete slab, which is the foundation for a pool house (someday). In the meantime, I need a place to mount a subpanel.

I plan to anchor a length of 2x4 on the slab and mount a 4x4 post on it. A scrap of plywood fastened to the front of the post should be enough to fit the panel, the SWCG power center, and a couple of junction boxes.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Sim

Unistruts look expensive. I think I'll woodchuck it (in Vermont, redneck == woodchuck). It should last until I put up the wall framing.

I'm waiting to double-check with the builder that I correctly recall the location he recommended for the ground rod. Do I need more than one ground rod if I have no way to determine whether resistance to ground is less than 25 ohms (NEC 250.56)? I don't think I can measure that with a regular multimeter.

Woodchucks rule!

[attachment=0:p819mgbv]Woodchuck.png[/attachment:p819mgbv]

It was easier to dig a post footing than to drill and brace, so I went with a 4x4 in gravel. The ground rod isn't in yet, so there's no GEC or bonding straps. Don't thump me yet - I'm not running the feeder until the rest of the LFNC is buried, the ground rod is driven, and everything is bonded properly.

Attachments

• Woodchuck.png
    Woodchuck.png
    234 KB · Views: 239

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BigJD said:
2 pt 4x4s and some 5/4 decking cut to length ad the panel. Worked like a charm

Yep. 2 posts for support and a larger piece of heavy plywood or decking does the trick. One post isnt enough support over the long term. If thats temporary and your not getting it inspected, it should be ok until you get a permanent structucture. But dont wait too long.

bk406 said:
2 posts for support and a larger piece of heavy plywood or decking does the trick. One post isnt enough support over the long term.

A second post and replace the crosspieces with exterior plywood. I can do that. Thanks, BK. Vermont doesn't do residential inspections, but I'm not trying to abuse that (honest!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.