Fickle Mother Nature - maybe opening pool by June?

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am green with envy at all the people opening and enjoying. No lie, we had 65 degrees durng the day then 4" of snow less than a week ago. While it is gone now, the rain doesn't stop and the nights are darned cool. Last year at this time, we were just finishing our liner replacement project and the pool was filled back up, ready for swimmers. I think I still have one floating central block of ice under my winter cover. :grrrr: Be nice to get decent NORMAL weather and be ready to go before Memorial Day weekend as we have a graduation party in the yard that weekend. BTW - I think I whine about this every year so just didn't want to break my track record.... :wink:

I heard you all have some drought issues. Funny, it never stops up here and you can't get enough down there. No balance at all is there.

Same way over here in ND. Cool and wet. I too have a 4 inch block of ice in my pool still trying to thaw. I think I am gonna try to open on the 16th. Gonna pull the cover off on that Saturday and hope the sun is out to melt the rest of the ice while I start to fill the pool back up. By Monday, I plan to fire it up to at least look at the pretty blue water again. This Crud is gettin old. Although complaining that its too wet wont get us anywhere as it could be a drought like it is in southern central states. Our farmers up here are getting a bit nervous though. We do need enough dry weather to get planting these crops soon.

Farmers almanac says warmer weather toward July and August so maybe we have a bit of hope for this summer yet!

Yea, they started finally pretty much everywhere except in some areas. My family's farm is north of Jamestown about 50 miles and its still too wet to start. I think that may change this next week if the rain would stay away. Forecast isnt stating that though, but they have been wrong before. One day at a time I guess.

And they call Canada the Great White North..lol?

I just realized where I live (southern Ontario) is further south than most of your northern states. I opened the 2nd week of April, but it's been cloudy and rainy a lot since then, so the solar heat isn't doing much heating. However, the water did rise from 42 when I opened to 64 a few days ago.

Good luck with the icebreaking...

I decided to bite the bullet and take the winter cover off. The ice chunk was small and moving it around, it melted. There is some minimal Crud floating so got the Pool Rover doing his thing to clean the bottom and will probably work on topping off in the next days. Yahoo.

Thanks rcy. Yea, I am opeining on Tuesday. Took a couple of days off of work to open the pool. gonna take cover off on monday and the ice should melt away. Then fillr up. That takes a few hours. I then will fire it up Tuesday morning and start the bleach shoking process. Got 10 cases on sale from the local pool dude who was having a spring sale. Its about dang time. Forecast up here looks better over the next 10 days so maybe we can get to farming. sprinkling again today.

I shouldnt complain considering whats going on down south. Guess it could always be worse.

Good luck everyone with your pool openings, cleaning, shocking ect....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yay, wr got beautiful weather all weekend so really started working on pool. Solar cover was gross, tree drop caused green stuff to start in pool. Cleaned out solids, began filling and top off, started up trusty Pool Rover, dumped in 3gal chlorine, 2# trichlor, metal myte, 1.5# of cya in sock floating around. Looking so much better at bedtime last night. Finishing top off today.

*update...dh just called to say he finished topping off and fired up the equipment. We are officially open, running and no blips or leaks this spring. Yay

Glad NWMNMom to hear you had a great opening...

Now if your like us, just a patient wait for the water to warm up. We almost got to 80 last week, then back down below 70 this week. :rant:

Sounds like it is going to be a short hot summer.

Hope it's hot. Tired of this trash from the weather - last Friday before noon we had SNOW falling. The next day 65. Go figure. Looks to be nice all week in the 70s. Just running that pump to keep it going through the solar panels from 9am-9pm daily now, solar cover on to keep the heat in, PR Jr to clean up the killed algae at the bottom. When we hit 70 deg water, in goes the salt to get levels up, then the SWG can go on. Bring it on, we are ready to swim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.