Please help identify this filter and recommend a replacement

etotfp

Dec 29, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all,

Our first house came with, um, no documentation for anything regarding the pool. Not that I expected any.

The filter I recognized from when I was a kid, so I know it could easily be over 35 years old. Unfortunately I don't know much else about it except that it was made by Purex. The canister is 24" tall and has a diameter of 20". The entire unit is 36" tall.

filter_1_s.JPG

Recently it's started leaking DE into the pool. I took it apart and checked the grids and the manifold and everything else that wasn't too much of a pain to get at but couldn't find anything obvious. Since I don't know the model I'm not even confident that I could get replacement parts for it anyway.

If someone could identify this I would appreciate it.

The next step is to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks,
Eric Ortega

Re: Please help identify this filter and recommend a replace

I have no idea on the old filter, but on the topic of replacement I think we can help, the question becomes one of what do you want.

Do you want to go back with another DE filter, or maybe a lower maintenance cartridge filter, ....? As to suitable replacement it would help if you tell us a bit about your pool (size, etc) how you use it, what sort of time you have to do maintenance, if you live in an area with high water costs, or regulations on backwashing/DE disposal. Also what sort of pump do you have and do you want to replace it also, if it is old you may want to consider replacing it with a more economical model if electric rates are high where you live.

Ike

Thank you for the responses.

I was thinking about replacing it with another DE filter. I'm pretty comfortable taking care of them and have never found them to be too much of a hassle. My uncle has a cartridge but he also has someone else maintain his pool so he's a lousy reference for how much less maintenance it actually is. Voodoo_pool's link there recommends DE for night swimming anyway, so that's what it's going to have to be because that's usually when I get to use it. :)

The pool is rectangular. About 3' at the shallow and 8' at the deep. It's pretty standard. 20,000 gallons. We have family parties in the summertime. My wife's friends bring their kids over and use it. I use it almost every day, weather permitting, etc. There is a spa. We live in Southern California so it's pretty easy to get a lot of time in it.

As for maintenance, before the filter started breaking down I really didn't have to do much. When we bought the place the levels were all out of whack and some algae. It took a while for me to bring it back into line but since then it's been pretty low maintenance. Just add some chlorine now and then and vacuum it out. Before the filter started crapping out it was pretty ideal.

Our water costs are low and our electricity is pretty high. I'm not sure about DE backwash regulations, but the backwash goes into a huge pipe in the back of the house that drains who knows where, definitely not to the street. I know that's not very eco-friendly of me but that's how it's currently set up.

I'm not sure what kind of pump there is. It just says Aqua-flo. It's probably as old as the filter. The motor looks fairly new. It's an AO Smith Centurion, catalog B124. You can still buy them new for about $300. It puts out 2HP (although the sticker on it says 2.4) at 230V and 10.5A.

motor_s.JPG

I'm not too interested in replacing anything other than the filter right now.

I was hoping that someone could identify at least the size of the current filter so I could get somewhat of a drop-in replacement.

Thanks for any help.

Eric Ortega

If you have room and can afford it, I recommend getting a slightly larger filter, perhaps something like the Pentair Quad DE 60 or 80. A larger filter can go longer between backwashing/cleaning and filters better than a smaller filter.

JasonLion, I saw you recommending the Quad DE in other threads and it looks pretty nifty. It's within my budget.

I could fit the Quad back there assuming it's not too ridiculously large in diameter. The only thing I could find in the manual regarding size is the height, which is a nonissue.

With the Quad, and perhaps with all new filters, I would need to do a bit of replumbing as the old filter has everything going in and out of the bottom of the filter and it appears that all of the new ones have the plumbing going to about the middle. I don't have too much experience with plumbing and was wondering if I could get a ballpark figure of what's a reasonable amount for a professional to install one of these. Since there are existing to/from/backwash lines it would just be a matter, I assume, of rerouting them. Doesn't seem too bad.

The install should be just about the minimum for a visit, which often works out to $150 to $200. It will be just a bit more if you want them to get rid of the old filter for you. Keep in mind that this kind of thing varies quite a bit from place to place and depending on how busy they are.

Great, thanks. I'm thinking it will probably be worth it to have a pro do it, then. I was afraid it would be something around $500.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good pro in the Westminster/Huntington Beach area I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll be off to Leslie's.

After attempting to contact a couple of pool people besides Leslie's I went ahead with them after all. A guy came out today and said that the filter I currently have is a Purex 2000 at 48 square feet. He said not only can you only replace the gasket and grids these days, it's also by far the most difficult filter to maintain, of all time. That I believe.

I'm pleased that Leslie's matched poolsupplyworld.com's price of $609 for the Quad DE 60. They're charging $230 for the install plus materials and disposal fees and all that. With taxes and everything it worked out to around $1100 and will be installed next Monday.

So...how is the new filter? I know the path to a new filter, as the previous owner of my home did not take proper care of the DE filter (meaning he did not rinse the grids periodically). My Hayward 4820 is about due for a cleaning. Aloha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.