To cover or not to cover...

Apr 26, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Our new pool has an APC auto pool cover. The fabric is a very heavy vinyl. I'm wondering if everyone thinks it makes more sense to keep it closed or leave it open to gain heat from the sun. Their website claims it acts as a solar cover also, but that fabric is so heavy, I'm not sure how well it would generate heat. I don't want to turn the heater on yet, since it is just still so chilly. But I'd like to take advantage of what few sunny days we are having.
Thanks

You definitely want to cover the pool at night. On a bright sunny day without too much wind you are usually better off having the cover open, though that depends somewhat on the humidity. Very low humidity causes more evaporation, which can cool the pool down.

I have a similar type of cover and agree with Jason. If the cover is very dark in color, then it will tend to absorb some heat from the sun and transfer some of it to the pool, but not a lot (a clear cover heats more during the day by letting light through). If it's a light colored cover, it will transfer even less heat because it reflects more light. With the pool cover open and with a white plaster pool, about 60% of the sun's energy will be absorbed by the water.

I have solar panels for heating so don't open the cover during the day, but I have noticed that my newer dark blue cover heats the pool more than the earlier light tan cover.

Our cover is the dark blue one. We don't have a fence and we have small children ourselves, so I'm hesitant to leave it open at all except when I'm out there right beside it. Even then I'm not sure it will be worth the hassle of opening and closing it every time I step away. I'm hoping the real benefit will be late in the season when it will help hold the heat in during some cool nights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.