moving water from the cover into the pool

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
i bought a house last year with the pool right at the end of the season. i closed the pool with a help of my inlaws (who have a pool) without knowing/thinking much. at the end of this winter i pumped some water from the cover (i had a lot) back into the pool. my inlaw advised me on this and apparently he does it all the time.

at that point i didn't think much about it, but with a lot of information i consumed last month or two preparing for the season, i start to question if it was a good idea. the temperature was low (30-40F) when i moved the water so i doubt there was something living in the water. it was dirty and probably moved some slime from left over leaves from the cover. i'm not concerned about the dirt, but maybe i introduced something to the pool water that now is waiting to start to grow since the temps we going up?

was it stupid of me, or is it ok?

i planned to open the pool on memorial weekend (MA - still coldish here), but reading more stuff here, i'm going to check the water temperature this weekend and if it's close to 60f, i might consider hurrying up.

Bama Rambler said:
If you can run the pump you might consider testing and adding a little chlorine to the water.

i can't - i would need to take the cover off and remove all the plugs. not ready for it yet. i will test this weekend with strips (bought them before i came to this forum, taylor k-2006 is on its way).

i will fix the pool when i open it, i was more curious if it's something that i should avoid doing in the future.

The water on the pool cover is often fairly nasty come spring. I pump mine off before opening rather than go through cleaning it up. On the other hand, if you are desperate for rain water, as people in high CH areas are, it might be worth cleaning up the cover water to get some extra water without CH.

well, i decided to drop a thermometer into the water and peek under the cover. i was a bit apprehensive since this is my first winter and my first opening of my first pool. reading all the horror stories i was ready to see monsters under the cover.

well, to my surprise, water seemed to be somewhat clear. i couldn't see all the way to the bottom, but i realized that i only opened a tiny corner of the cover and it's pitch black deep in the pool. so i used the flashlight i brought ant to my amusement i could see the bottom of the pool (8 ft) almost clear. there was very little debrie (i was told to expect tons of earth worms) as far as i could see.

i had some strips (taylor kit is on the way) to test and my results came out somewhat ok:

TC: 0.5
FC: 0.5
PH: ~7.4-7.6
TA: 120
CYA: 30-50

this is as much as i could tell by the strips, it might be way off. but it seems like there is some residual chlorine. i have an old Total Chlorine drop test and i will try it tomorrow to see if there is some chlorine. i'm surprised it survived the winter. is it possible?

Yes, it is certainly possible for there to be a small amount of chlorine left from closing.

Remember, your test results will occasionally be way off if the pump hasn't been running in a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.