Heater wont light

JPMaly

May 5, 2011
Early '90's Teledyne-Larrs natural gas heater, 400000 btu with electronic ignition. It clicks, then stops and then I smell gas. I also noticed a while back that the heater had a hum (24 volt transformer?), if that has anything to do with it. I'm thinking replacing all the electronic ignition, but I would like your opinion. Thanks, Jerry

Jerry, welcome to TFP!!

If you are qualified to do this (if not get the gas guy out there :hammer:) check the burner end of the gas line to see if a spider built it's web there/ or if something else is clogging the outlet.

Was the gas line disconnected from the heater over the winter (which could possibly allow water to enter and block the line)?

look inside while the clicking is going on- is there actually a spark? sometimes the piezo electric circuit is out of whack, and the clicking noise doesn't mean sparks are actually occuring...
also, the safety is supposed to prevent excessive accumalation of gas without ignition- if you're smelling gas, especially after a few seconds the gas smell continues, shut off the gas valve and get a gas mechanic in there soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.