Does 2 Intex = 1 larger SWG?

It may be a crazy idea, but would 2 Intex SWG put in-line with each other produce double the chlorine and so be good enough for a 25,000 gallon pool? Buying 2 at $125 or so each sounds a lot cheaper than $700-900 or so for larger SWG. Having 2 in-line would also provide a backup if one stopped working (get half the chlorine at least). I know the larger ones also have other features, but would it work?

That could work. You would want to plumb them in parallel, not sequentially. You also need enough water flow that they each get a reasonable flow rate.

Remember that they don't meet code for in-ground or permanently installed pools.

I am looking at a 18'x39'x52" oval above ground pool, with like 4" of wall and a deep end dug in and 4' above ground. (It has flat sides and rounded ends... so I'm guessing the gallons is in-between a rectangle and pure oval pool). I plan to put a deck around half of it... so I'm guessing that's still considered a non-permanent above ground pool.

Why would plumbing them in parallel be better than sequentially?

It isn't absolutely essential, but there are a couple of advantages. First, calcium flakes can come off of the plates when the cell reverses, and you don't want those getting caught in the next unit. Second, they aren't designed for high flow rates. Running a large pump through two sequentially would restrict the flow more than you might want. Third, they give off hydrogen gas, and they work a little better if they don't have to deal with the extra hydrogen from a previous unit.

JasonLion said:
That could work. You would want to plumb them in parallel, not sequentially. You also need enough water flow that they each get a reasonable flow rate.

Remember that they don't meet code for in-ground or permanently installed pools.
Hi Jason,

I have heard of these units not being UL Certified, does that make them not meet code? If so then why does mine say:

Conforms to UL STD. 1081 certified to CSA STD. C22.2 No. 218.1-M89

Thanks

After reading some other threads about Intex SWG's etc... I think I'm going to try to find an old-style one that created more chlorine if I can, and also use borates which decreases the chlorine need (and everyone seems happy with), and see if one Intex SWG does the job. If not, I'll have to play around with the plumbing to put on 2, but I'm hoping that isn't needed now.

If you can find an old one and are willing to let it run 6-8 hrs per day, I'm guessing it would work. My unit handles our 13k gal pool in 2-3hrs/day...I just wish intex made a 2.5hr setting :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dmanb2b said:
If you can find an old one and are willing to let it run 6-8 hrs per day, I'm guessing it would work. My unit handles our 13k gal pool in 2-3hrs/day...I just wish intex made a 2.5hr setting :lol:

Usually pumps are run 8-12 hours or so a day, correct? So having the SWG run for 6-8 hours should work... will get used up faster I guess, but one burning out in 2 years is the same as using 2 and them lasting 4 years. And at their price, even one a year would be about the same as buying the chlorine or getting a more expensive SWG that lasts 2-3 years. So I think I'll try it and see how it goes.

HotShot53 said:
dmanb2b said:

Usually pumps are run 8-12 hours or so a day, correct? So having the SWG run for 6-8 hours should work... will get used up faster I guess, but one burning out in 2 years is the same as using 2 and them lasting 4 years. And at their price, even one a year would be about the same as buying the chlorine or getting a more expensive SWG that lasts 2-3 years. So I think I'll try it and see how it goes.

For your size pool, 8-12 hours sounds about right. I can get by with 4 hours a day, but we recommend at least one full turnover :goodjob:

I want to be able to superchlor or shock my pool and using one unit at 12hrs/day over a few days couldn't pull it off so I bought 2 more fernco rubber couplers and am adding my second unit in parallel (taken off my spa, sorry spa) I'll prob do a fresh thread with pics and a UTUbe video, the world needs to know $1000 to the local pool store isn't the only way to SW chlor a pool baby!

just installed the 2nd unit tonight, I modded both the units soo they can run manualy and 24hrs/day if i need it. This will yeild up to 1,200 grams (42.3 oz. or 2.64 lbs.) of chlorine per 24/hrs. by a calculation from another thread (thanks jason :wink: ) :-D

I shot a video for each mod, the first is 38 mins, 2.5gigs :shock: the second is 24mins.
I ment these for Utube but they limit vids to 10mins and my software for my 2011 Panasonic camcorder won't cut videos up that i can figure.
Mod 1: reversable to stock, simple wiring overide, whenever the flow switch is on, the unit turns on the blue Chlor LED and makes chlorine, a green power LED replaces the sleep light. the logic board functions are not used (no salt level checking)

Mod 2: I wanted the unit to operate stock and have a option to manually overide for more chlorine. Unit works stock, added green and red LEDs to indicated cell polarity(curious how often it does this for cleaning) Added a set of realys ans fan overide triggered by a external AC adapter, when the unit is sleeping i can have a timer switch the powerpack on activating the Chlor cell and get another 12hrs if i need it :-D

I'm going to start a new thread to talk about it and provide links to my vids, prob use google docs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.