Questions from First Time Pool owner

May 2, 2011
Hi all,

First and foremost, I just want to thank you all for this forum.
I'm a first time pool owner, have done a lot of reading on this forum. Before finding this website I have gone to the pool store twice to get their readings, and have fallen to the typical sales pitch, ended up buying a 50lbs Trichlor (have used it in the container, still), some 30 pack DiChlor (have used some 8 packs so far, given their once-a-week rule), First Aid, and couple other things.
The good news is I have just received the TF100 kit today, and have been very excited to write this first letter

Here's my first ever result:

CL: 5 Br: 10
PH: 7.6

FC: 8.5
CC: 1
TC: 9.5
TA: 130
CH: 200
CYA:25

I think I used the kit properly. I might have to use it again to make sure I read it properly.
My question:
1. The attached image shows the pool color, it's cloudy, and kinda look greenish, eventhough I think the chemicals are pretty much ok for the most part. Would using First Aid help? It's quite expensive, and I would rather return it, but if it's recommended, I'd use it.
2. My wife prefers brick coping than the attached image(dont even know how to name/call it). As you can see in the attached picture, the current coping look wuugly :0... Any suggestion/ideas?
3. How do I know the Trichlor (pucks) in the automatic dispenser is working properly? Although I plan to use liquid bleach eventually, I figured these pucks would help increasing the CYA. But the past 5 days (24 hrs) with the filter on and dispenser set to Full mode, those 3" pucks (i put 7 or 8 of them to fill the dispenser) didn't seem to decrease in size (didn't disolve). How long do I normally anticipate before it disolves?
4. I also inherit Kreepy Krauler. Any comment on this? Is it good enough? I noticed that when I have it on, it gives this little air pockets in the pump (clear lid). I believe it did work properly, as I had to backwash it couple of times after 6-7 hours operation. I'm just concern if it will affect the pump/filter with some air flowing through.

Well, these are my questions for now. Thank you for your kind attention. I'm looking forward to learn more and enjoy pool ownership, and hopefully one of these days will have enough knowledge to also help other newcomers.

Thank you,
Jovian

Attachments

• poolColor.jpg
    poolColor.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 311
  • PoolCorner.jpg
    PoolCorner.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Filter and Dispenser.jpg
    Filter and Dispenser.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 311
Hello Jovian and welcome to TFP!

You have algae. What tells you this is the color of the pool and the cc value greater than .5. I recommend you return the first aid, you won't need it. You need to shock the pool. Shocking is a process and not an event. Please read how to shock your pool, the link is in my signature line below. The trick is to keep FC at shock level (11ppm in your case) until you pass the overnight FC test.

and don't use anymore of the dichlor/trichlor until the pool is clear- will just making clearing more expensive- use bleach or liquid chlorine to achieve your FC required!
Everything else looks like it should be ok, until you finish clearing the algae!
Good luck, and God Speed!

It looks to me like you have live algae in there. You don't want First Aid for that, you want to use chlorine. Your FC level isn't high enough to effectively fight algae. You should bring FC up to 15 and keep it there until the water clears up, the CC goes away, and you aren't losing any chlorine overnight.

That coping doesn't look very good, but switching to brick is a major renovation. That would require cutting into the deck, masonry work, and could impact other things as well. There are much simpler, less expensive, things you can do, like getting coping similar to what you have now properly installed, but it won't look as nice as brick will.

For most pools you want to use up maybe one trichlor puck a day, so refill once a week. When you first fill it up it doesn't really look like they are dissolving, since it takes a little bit off of each one, but then towards the end of the week they should be going away fairly quickly.

The Kreepy Krauler is fine. There are better ones, but that is a classic. It is definitely good enough for general use. If it is letting air into the pump then there is probably an air leak somewhere. Usually such leaks are tricky to find but easy to fix once you find them.

In the longer run, you need to think about using trichlor and dichlor. Both of them contain CYA, which is going to get as high as you want to have it after a while. After than using trichlor and dichlor isn't such a good thing.

Hi all,

This is the 5th day of shocking the pool.
The past 2 days my fc is 12-13 and cc is .5 or even less. Pool has cleared up a lot but I haven't seen much changes these past 2 days. Not clear and Still see greenish color.
I've done a lot of reading, and suspect that maybe it's a filter problem. I'd like to add DE, but don't know where to buy it. Also, is there some sort of maintenance I need to do on my sand filter(like adding more sand?) how do I know filter work as it suppose to?
I noticed psi @ the pump didn't change much, it stays at 10, although when they opened my pool they said that normally it will stay at 13 and told me to backwash after hitting 23.
It has never reached 23. It reached 20 when I first used kreepy krauly for the whole night last week. I backwashed it then and did it almost everyday since even though it stayed at 10psi.
Thanks for the advise.

Can you post a current picture? It sounds like you still need to continue the shock process. Try to keep the FC at 15, vacuum dead algae to waste, and only backwash the filter after the pressure rises 10 points. A slightly dirty sand filter works better than a clean sand filter.

Here's a pic.
By the way, latest reading today is fc 14.
The rest is still the same as mentioned above.
How bout my question on DE and sand filter maintenance?
Thanks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304858061.431230.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304858061.431230.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 218
This is the 5th day of shocking the pool
Well, not quite. On Thursday you reported Cl of 5ppm, which is below shock value per the FC/CYA chart. That allows the algae to hold on a little longer and extends your shock period.

Hold the FC at 12ppm as constantly as you can, even if you have to test and add chlorine more often. That'll speed up the process and get your pool clear.

There is really no point in attempting DE at this point. You might try it when you are almost perfectly clear but virtually ALL pools and filters are capable of crystal clear water without resorting to extra methods.

Your latest pic indicates progress but you still need to be running your pump 24/7, vacuuming (are you running the kreepy?) very often, and backwashing when necessary.

Note - there is no point in backwashing unless you see a significant pressure rise. In your case, if it stays at 10 (does the guage go to zero when you shut off the pump?) normally, I would backwash at 13-14 but not before.

Just want to thank everyone in this thread, and this website again, for all the help.
My pool looks a lot better now.
I did perform the overnight FC loss test.
At 9pm last night, I measured FC at 8.
This morning (5am) 1 hr before sunrise, I measured it at 6.5
I know I suppose to still have it shocked if the difference is >1, but the water looks clear already.
Should I raise it back to 12 (shock stage)? what happen if I dont?
Thanks

Don't stop!!! Until your FC passes the test, there will still be algae in the pool and it will take hold the second it gets the chance! Be sure you sweep during the process too so you get all the nasties out into the FC.

What was your TC or CC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've done a lot of reading, and suspect that maybe it's a filter problem. I'd like to add DE, but don't know where to buy it. Also, is there some sort of maintenance I need to do on my sand filter(like adding more sand?) how do I know filter work as it suppose to?

I doubt you have a sand filter problem, yet (as in can't tell yet). Get the pool clear then we can go there. You do not need to add sand, ever in my experience. You'll know it is working when your water gets clear :) Honestly, I wouldn't worry about adding DE to the filter at this moment, but you get it from your local pool supply, hardware store (I saw it at Home Depot), etc.

Yes you should absolutely, not just raise, but raise and keep it at shock.

If you don't keep shocking the algae will take back over. As long as there's algae in there and you let it drop below shock level you're letting the algae win. Even though you can't see the algae there's enough of it still in there to grow back.

Just want to thank everyone for helping me out.
I have few questions in mind:
1. Does anyone know what this is (attached image)? and what it's for? I found one at the bottom of the pool and the other one just hang there?
2. The Calcium Hardness is at 160. Do I need to worry about this? I beleive it's suppose to be 200-300, but I also read that doesn't really matter for vinyl.
3. Using the timer, I set the pump to run only during 'daylight', 6am-8pm. When would be the best time to add pour the liquid chlorine?
Also, Is there a recommended running time? I know it might be different based on pool size, pump power etc. But what would be a good general rule? This past week with the daylight schedule, my reading seems to be pretty ok.

Thank you.

Jovian

Attachments

• foreignObject.jpg
    foreignObject.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 107
Those look like spare pieces of liner material.

CH is fine where it is. You never need to add calcium with a vinyl liner (though CH can still get too high and cause problems that way).

The best time to add chlorine is in the early evening.

I'd try starting with a 12 hour pump run time and then seeing if you can reduce that and keep the water looking just as good.

@Jasonlion: Thank you.
@Dremin: Thanks, makes perfect sense.
@anona & Robbie: Thank you. I was hoping someone would notice :)
Thanks to all of you! You guys are awesome.
Just one other question. My pump psi has not been increased for 3 weeks. Therefore I have not backwash it. Is this normal? It stays on 13 (which is expected, as Pool guys who opened my pool said that I would need to backwash only when it reached 23).
I backwashed it couple times when I shocked the pool last month, even then it has never reached 23. First it hit 20, second was like 15.
The pressure in/out from skimmer and jets seem to be normal.

Thank you!

There is some chance that your pressure gauge is broken, but chances are everything is alright. If you notice the water flow coming out of the returns getting weaker even when the gauge doesn't change, that is a sign that there is a problem with the gauge. Otherwise just wait for the pressure to go up, even if that takes a while.

By the by, I would backwash when it gets to 19.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.