New Saltwater Pool, proper birthing order?

justbeachy

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2011
Hi all, love this site and I've learned alot already. We are a few days from finishing (and filling!! :) ) our pool and I want to make sure that I do things in the right order. I was trying to find a way to get water brought in as we have well water with alot of iron but it looks like we will have to use it. Here is what I THINK :shock: is a good plan for getting it going, would love to find out if I need to do things differently before I dig in.
1-water :)
2-something to bind the iron
3-salt
4-liquid chlorine to shock (5-10 range ok?)
5-start SWG
6-CYA to 60-80
7-pH to 7.5-7.6
8-TA to 60-90
9-check CH
10-borates to 30-50

(I don't have my baseline water numbers yet, test kit in route, but if the starting numbers affect the order I will post them as soon as i get them)
Thanks much in advance for the help!

Not sure about the iron, but can be anytime not first I believe
The most critical is pH and FC first, along with CYA to prevent complete/immediate loss of FC
The CH isn't important if vinyl, very important for plaster
The borates then TA I would do last...

Welcome to TFP.

My personal opinion is that if it's at all possible to have metals free water brought in it's most likely worth it in the long run. Even if you could rent a reverse osmosis system to remove it before filling. Remember that adding sequestrant is an ongoing process in order to keep the iron from staining.

Now that we're done with that!
Your order is ok except for a few things.

You already mentioned testing your water before you add it to the pool and that's a very good idea.

Adjust pH first if it needs it. Then the sequestrant. Then add enough chlorine to get about 2 ppm FC in there. (you don't need to shock unless the tests say so) Then swap the CYA / start swcg steps. The rest of the steps look ok.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

My personal opinion is that if it's at all possible to have metals free water brought in it's most likely worth it in the long run. Even if you could rent a reverse osmosis system to remove it before filling. Remember that adding sequestrant is an ongoing process in order to keep the iron from staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.