Pool guy told me to shock the pool..

No, shocking is raising the level of FC up to the shock level for your CYA level. If you go to this link you will see what the shock level is for different CYA levels. I believe that Pool Calculator is giving you the Target FC which is also shown on these charts. Target FC is what you use if you do not have algae. Shock level is what you use if you do.

benavidescj said:
No, shocking is raising the level of FC up to the shock level for your CYA level. If you go to this link you will see what the shock level is for different CYA levels. I believe that Pool Calculator is giving you the Target FC which is also shown on these charts. Target FC is what you use if you do not have algae. Shock level is what you use if you do.

I don't have any green algae. Just my FC is really low..

MY cc was higher than .5. So I would need to shock correct? Last night my FC was at .6. So I put in like 200 oz. of bleach in a 32k gallon pool. I am assuming that wouldn't do too much since I needed to shock the pool correct? I would probably need closer to 3 x that amount correct?

Excellent :goodjob: Also, you can use www.poolcalculator.com to calculate how much bleach is needed to raise FC.

In general, 1gal of 6% bleach will raise FC by 6ppm in a 10k gal pool. So in your pool (32k gal) you would need about 3 gallons to raise your FC by 6ppm. The 200oz (about 1.5gals) you added should have bee good for about 3ppm...which is not much if your CC was above 0.5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.