DLSDO- Pool build

DLSDO

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Midwest
New to the site. Very glad to have found it! My wife and kids are probably even happier as my level of construction anxiety is much improved since reading others challenging experiences and realizing were not alone. Here is our story. Hopefully it will help others with their pool build.

Built our midwest home ~6 yrs ago. It sits atop a ridge with 2 acres of wooded terrain that slopes down at a 3:1 grade. Absolutely beautiful but not very functional. We have always wanted a pool but for obvious reasons were hesitant. We decided this past spring to start landscaping. The small landscaping project exploded into an enormous backyard remodel.

In order to make the pool work we had to get engineers involved to analyze soil for stability and guide us as to the feasibility and technique our pool builder would need to engineer a pool into a hillside on a slope properly. We wanted the pool somewhat remote from the back of the house so that when winter comes we can close off the pool area and still have a large entertaining space.

Our home is 3 levels of living space. The middle level opens to a large deck that overlooks the pool, and a screened patio that walks out to 3 levels of landscaped patios with a fire pit, landscape lighting and zoned music. The multi level patios lead to the pool as does the lower level of the home.

So...construction began ~3 months ago!! Cutting into the hillside, land development, tree service, creating hardscape, landscape, irrigation and electrical. Now finally we are ready for pool excavation...TOMORROW 9-28-07!!

We are so excited. Looking forward to sharing with others our adventure.

Enjoy!

1cb181dd.jpg

8465d786.jpg

Thanks! It is really coming together nicely. The landscaping contractor is really talented. We have learned to listen to his suggestions.

Now comes the pool build........I know its gonna be a long road ahead.....

I will post more pics tomorrow if they excavate as planned.

Since we cut into a hillside the down slope side of the pool needs support. We had 2 options.

The first was to build a big retaining wall. The other was to grade down from the pool. We choose the latter. Thought it would look more natural. Allow for planting..etc.

Interestingly...the grading required engineering approval. In fact they plan to have a geotechnical engineer on site to confirm proper construction of the grade since its structural. Supposedly a level shelf will be cut from the down slope and soil will be added back 8" at a time and compacted to create a 3:1 slope. Who would of thought it would be so complex?

The engineer will also confirm the base of the pool is in "virgin" soil.

I am praying for a clean dig to solid ground!! (fingers crossed and holding breath)

Hi again everyone. Started excavation on friday and so far it has been a clean dig. Slow progress though. :roll: They had to build the slope behind the pool with the excavated fill. The geotechnical engineer spent the day at the site making sure it was constructed correctly and taking soil compression measurments. Guess they will finish the dig on Monday. Looks like they will need to bring in some fill to finish grading the slope behind the pool.

Here are a few pics.

Enjoy!! Will keep you posted

Attachments

• pool 033.jpg
    pool 033.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,211

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update-
Excavation and slope construction finished today. THEY HIT BEDROCK!! By sheer luck it is in the deep end at about 8'..our proposed max depth. Subgrade and slope approval from the engineers. Rocked today also. Plumbing and steel next. More pics to come

Progress report

Friday 9/28/07- Excavation and engineered slope construction behind pool
Monday 10/1/07- Excavation completed (hit bedrock) and rock fill
Tuesday 10/2/07- Rebar started

Snuck home for lunch today...had pool guys working, the excavator leaving, the landscape guys working and irrigation guys working. I think I better stay at work...this is making me crazy!

Attachments

• Pool 067.jpg
    Pool 067.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,114
4 choices for a potty break

#1- The pool..eek..they better not
#2- Off the back of the pool into the woods..better look out for the wildlife
#3- Lower level bathroom
#4- Middle level bathroom

Seriously though...this was an important factor in our decision making process. We wanted the pool somewhat remote from the house. We wanted it to be surrounded entirely by a fence. When we entertain 2 sets of double gates will be open on each end of the pool.

Otherwise when the pool is closed it will not be directly accessible from the house or yard. We have a large home on 2 acres of land. We will be better able to allow the kids to safely roam around outside, entertain remote from the pool in the wintertime and feel alittle safer when we have a large gathering in our 3 story home.

Works for us. The bathroom distance and walk up to the house were the sacrifices. Maybe a pool house someday?

Is the "dura-loc cover" the one you can walk on? If so then I think thats the one we have coming.

Update-
Torrential down pour last night. Suppose everything is gonna slow down a bit.

ps. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. This site has such a "comfortable" feel about it. Everyone is so helpful and gracious.

Had a torrential down pour last night. Despite this the crew showed up today. What a sloppy mess! They finished the steel rebar interior, and plumbing. We passed inspection and they plan to shoot the gunite shell tomorrow. They have the pumps all ready to go. I am surprised how quickly everything is moving. I anticipate a significant slow down after gunite. It has only been 4 working days for goodness sake!!

a0261162.jpg

2240001c.jpg

d1b92b5d.jpg

d152acce.jpg

Gunite!! I could not and would not have ever dreamed they could have created such a mess. BUT...the pool looks great. I am sure glad swimming season is over here in the Midwest..plenty of time time clean up the mess before spring.
pool007.jpg

pool005.jpg

pool012-1.jpg

pool020.jpg

pool021-1.jpg

pool022-1.jpg

pool026-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.