Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DLSDO- Pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

DLSDO- Pool build

New to the site. Very glad to have found it! My wife and kids are probably even happier as my level of construction anxiety is much improved since reading others challenging experiences and realizing were not alone. Here is our story. Hopefully it will help others with their pool build.

Built our midwest home ~6 yrs ago. It sits atop a ridge with 2 acres of wooded terrain that slopes down at a 3:1 grade. Absolutely beautiful but not very functional. We have always wanted a pool but for obvious reasons were hesitant. We decided this past spring to start landscaping. The small landscaping project exploded into an enormous backyard remodel.

In order to make the pool work we had to get engineers involved to analyze soil for stability and guide us as to the feasibility and technique our pool builder would need to engineer a pool into a hillside on a slope properly. We wanted the pool somewhat remote from the back of the house so that when winter comes we can close off the pool area and still have a large entertaining space.

Our home is 3 levels of living space. The middle level opens to a large deck that overlooks the pool, and a screened patio that walks out to 3 levels of landscaped patios with a fire pit, landscape lighting and zoned music. The multi level patios lead to the pool as does the lower level of the home.

So...construction began ~3 months ago!! Cutting into the hillside, land development, tree service, creating hardscape, landscape, irrigation and electrical. Now finally we are ready for pool excavation...TOMORROW 9-28-07!!

We are so excited. Looking forward to sharing with others our adventure.

Enjoy!

Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

You have a very cool yard. It looks like the view must be amazing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wow, that is sure some backyard!

Welcome to TFP!

(And watch for reckless teenagers doing cannonballs from the upper terrace into the pool! )

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Lots of wildlife to enjoy. I hope they don't enjoy the pool as much as me.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

WOW. That is a very nice outdoor space. Sure looks like allot of work -- the terraces add such interest.
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing.
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! It is really coming together nicely. The landscaping contractor is really talented. We have learned to listen to his suggestions.

Now comes the pool build........I know its gonna be a long road ahead.....
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

7. Back To Top    #7
    Beautiful area - can't wait to see the progress.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will post more pics tomorrow if they excavate as planned.

Since we cut into a hillside the down slope side of the pool needs support. We had 2 options.

The first was to build a big retaining wall. The other was to grade down from the pool. We choose the latter. Thought it would look more natural. Allow for planting..etc.

Interestingly...the grading required engineering approval. In fact they plan to have a geotechnical engineer on site to confirm proper construction of the grade since its structural. Supposedly a level shelf will be cut from the down slope and soil will be added back 8" at a time and compacted to create a 3:1 slope. Who would of thought it would be so complex?

The engineer will also confirm the base of the pool is in "virgin" soil.

I am praying for a clean dig to solid ground!! (fingers crossed and holding breath)
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

9. Back To Top    #9

Welecome to TFP! Cant wait to follow the progress... keep the pics coming!
    Jim

--------------------------------------
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 32'x 27' Freeform in tiered yard. 16'X4'X4' Moss Rock waterfall, Tanning Ledge w/3 bubblers, Gas Fire pit w/scupper, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen, 18" raised spa. w/6 Waterway therapy jets on upper tier w/40" Moss Rock spillover, Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160 (Pool/Spa), Pentair 2HP Whisperflo(water features), MasterTemp 400BTU, Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/booster

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi again everyone. Started excavation on friday and so far it has been a clean dig. Slow progress though. They had to build the slope behind the pool with the excavated fill. The geotechnical engineer spent the day at the site making sure it was constructed correctly and taking soil compression measurments. Guess they will finish the dig on Monday. Looks like they will need to bring in some fill to finish grading the slope behind the pool.

Here are a few pics.

Enjoy!! Will keep you posted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

11. Back To Top    #11

You sure have a beautiful home and property.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Buggs! We will keep ya posted as the build evolves.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

13. Back To Top    #13

Update-
    Excavation and slope construction finished today. THEY HIT BEDROCK!! By sheer luck it is in the deep end at about 8'..our proposed max depth. Subgrade and slope approval from the engineers. Rocked today also. Plumbing and steel next. More pics to come
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

14. Back To Top    #14

Progress report

Friday 9/28/07- Excavation and engineered slope construction behind pool
    Monday 10/1/07- Excavation completed (hit bedrock) and rock fill
    Tuesday 10/2/07- Rebar started

Snuck home for lunch today...had pool guys working, the excavator leaving, the landscape guys working and irrigation guys working. I think I better stay at work...this is making me crazy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

15. Back To Top    #15

One more...

Finally figured out photobucket!! More to follow...

Landscape going in remote from the pool site
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

16. Back To Top    #16

That's a long walk to the bathroom Kidding aside that is one nice peice of property,
    especially the terrace. Be sure to order a Dura-Loc pool cover so the wildlife creatures
    doesn't fall in.

Dennis

16000 gallons GRAND BEND ig vinyl pool, Sta-Rite Dynaglas 1hp pump and System III modular cartridge filter 300ft2, Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 salt generator, 325000btu LJ gas heater, 2 Pentair 500 watts lights, 4 deck jets.

17. Back To Top    #17

4 choices for a potty break

#1- The pool..eek..they better not
    #2- Off the back of the pool into the woods..better look out for the wildlife
    #3- Lower level bathroom
    #4- Middle level bathroom

Seriously though...this was an important factor in our decision making process. We wanted the pool somewhat remote from the house. We wanted it to be surrounded entirely by a fence. When we entertain 2 sets of double gates will be open on each end of the pool.

Otherwise when the pool is closed it will not be directly accessible from the house or yard. We have a large home on 2 acres of land. We will be better able to allow the kids to safely roam around outside, entertain remote from the pool in the wintertime and feel alittle safer when we have a large gathering in our 3 story home.

Works for us. The bathroom distance and walk up to the house were the sacrifices. Maybe a pool house someday?

Is the "dura-loc cover" the one you can walk on? If so then I think thats the one we have coming.

Update-
    Torrential down pour last night. Suppose everything is gonna slow down a bit.

ps. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. This site has such a "comfortable" feel about it. Everyone is so helpful and gracious.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

18. Back To Top    #18

WOW! This is a beautiful work of art! I can't wait to see more!!
    -Rachel

No pool yet...doing massive research!

19. Back To Top    #19

Had a torrential down pour last night. Despite this the crew showed up today. What a sloppy mess! They finished the steel rebar interior, and plumbing. We passed inspection and they plan to shoot the gunite shell tomorrow. They have the pumps all ready to go. I am surprised how quickly everything is moving. I anticipate a significant slow down after gunite. It has only been 4 working days for goodness sake!!

Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

20. Back To Top    #20

Gunite!! I could not and would not have ever dreamed they could have created such a mess. BUT...the pool looks great. I am sure glad swimming season is over here in the Midwest..plenty of time time clean up the mess before spring.

Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast