Pressure change - sand filter

Jul 12, 2010
I have noticed that the pressure in my sand filter will go up 8-10 PSI, only to drop about 5 PSI lower if I turn the filter off and then restart it again later. Has anyone else noticed this with their sand filter?

Mine will do that frequently (but not always) and it is for exactly the reason you suggest.

There is apparently a smooth enough flow on top of the sand bed that, I believe, allows a fine "covering" of dirt and debris to form and restrict the flow.....thereby increasing the psi.

It must be a very thin, uniform layer because when I shut of the pump, that abrupt stoppage of the flow loosens that fine layer and allows the water to pass more freely when the pump restarts.

It could also be loosened or disturbed instead at the time the pump restarts which might make more sense but I do see that often with my filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.