Running spa seperate from Pool

dwnsth

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
SE Louisiana
I have a spillover spa that currently is always in spillover mode unless the spa is on. I'm wondering as cooler weather approaches sometime in October (for us in south La.) if I should shut the spillover off, cover the spa and keep it filtered and heated separately from the pool. Right now to heat the spa takes less than 10 minutes, but my water in both the spa and pool have yet to get below 80. I may try to keep the pool at about 85 with my heat pump and solar cover for the next month or so (or until I see the electric bill). Still would like to keep the spa going all winter but not sure if it's worthwhile to cover and keep hot or just heat up when needed.

If it is plumed properly, you can have the filter running the spa only, pool only or both. Same with the heater. I can heat spa only or pool or both.

dwnsth, being as you live in south LA, you should consider just keeping pool and spa open all winter. Many folks in our neck of the woods do that. I plan on running the pump for the pool/spa as required and if there is freezing weather on the way. I will just heat the spa when I am going to use it.

Yes the plumbing is such that I can seperate the spa from the pool with one pump and heater and run the pump, heater and salt system unique to each one. I do plan on keeping the pool open but may not heat after a certain point. I guess what I'm actually asking would be is it better or worthwhile in any way to keep the spa at or close to temperature all the time. My thinking is when the water temp in pool is no logner being maintained, keeping the spa warm should be more economical (I have a heat pump).

Thanks again for info and help.

Not sure if keeping heat on would be economical. Maybe set it at a lower temp in the dead of winter (like 50 degrees) and watch your electric bill! I have a NG heater and it brings temps up pretty quickly so I don't bother leaving it running; I'll just heat it up when needed. That would probobly wind up costing much less in the long run for you too.

Remember that a SWCG cell will shut down when water temps drop below 50 - 55 degrees so have some liquid bleach handy during those times to keep FC levels up.

Good luck and enjoy that spa this winter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.