Isolate wall suctions for increased skimmer action?

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
I currently have the wall suctions throttled down to about 50% which helps, but it seems like I don't get the ideal skimmer action until they are fully closed. Would it be bad practice to operate in this mode the majority of the time? Wouldn't think both skimmer baskets would get clogged and starve my pump, but I guess it would still be a risk. I have no bottom drains, so I'm somewhat concerned about poor circulation in the deep end. One of my returns in the deep end could be angled downwards, but then my surface water circulation would be compromised and I'm pretty much back where I started. This scenario is with the pump on low speed. Advice/suggestions :?:

The big advantage of having wall suction is to have some water flow even if your skimmer(s) get blocked with leaves. If you turn the wall suction off completely, the pump will lose prime when the skimmer(s) get blocked.

I run mine 50-50 usually. If i have a lot of floating stuff, i'll run it 80-20 skimmer.
You have 2 wall suctions i take it? If thats the case, you might need to run 80-20 more often. But, I wouldn't shut down the wall suction completely. You'll just have to experiemnt with it until you find what works the best. Dont overthink it too much.

bk406 said:
I run mine 50-50 usually. If i have a lot of floating stuff, i'll run it 80-20 skimmer.
You have 2 wall suctions i take it? If thats the case, you might need to run 80-20 more often.

Yes, 2 wall suctions.

Just to be clear - when you say 50-50, are you implying that both skimmer and wall suction valves are open wide and in the case of 80-20 you're throttling down on the wall suctions with the skimmers fully open?

bk406 said:
You'll just have to experiemnt with it until you find what works the best. Dont overthink it too much.

Funny, I was kicking around the idea of installing an actuator on the wall suction valve to automate the process. :oops: :lol:

Ok, I gotcha.

My set-up has (2) 3-way valves, so what I have been doing is leaving the skimmer intakes fully open and closing down on the wall suctions incrementally until I get satisfactory draw into the skimmers. Problem is, I have to completely shut the wall suctions to achieve this.

I guess I'll just have to leave the wall suction valve slightly cracked open and live with it. Or run the pump on high speed. :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.