Closing with warm water

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I've been trying to wait until my water has cooled down to under 60 to close. Unfortunately, my trees are shedding leaves like crazy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on closing a pool with water that is still relatively warm (70 degrees)?

Would I be better off to put winter cover on and keep adding chlorine until it cools down? My only worry with doing this is the chlorine damaging the cover (like it did my solar cover).

If it's a safety cover, you can put it on and keep running the filter and chlorination like normal. I do that sometimes when I open just so I can start chlorinating before I'm ready to do the whole thing. Normal chlorine levels shouldn't affect any cover. Sunlight is much harder on them.

I was pouring chlorine into one of my return streams (which sits above water on my pool) over the summer and had just folded my solar cover back while I did this. The area of my cover that was in line with the current of the stream just got brittle and disintegrated, hence my concern.

For the same reason, I'm hesitant to just dump chlorine into my skimmer.

Should I just dump chlorine into the deep end, or do you really want the mixing action you get by dumping into the return stream?

My CYA is 100, so perhaps that is part of the problem (which I'm planning to rectify next season).

robrinker said:
Should I just dump chlorine into the deep end, or do you really want the mixing action you get by dumping into the return stream?

Bleach is going to tend to settle to the bottom of the pool when you pour it in, so anything that mixes is with the water is a positive. Cooler temps will cut back your chlorine demand by quite a bit. Another way to handle adding chlorine is to mix it with water before adding it to the pool. Put a half gallon or so into a bucket full of pool water, then add the mixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.