pump motor noise

mitch

Aug 9, 2007
Hey guys...

I've had a Hayward 1.5hp pump for probably over 10 years that ran great. The best part was that it was very quiet.
Recently the motor went, so my pool guy put in a replacement motor. Its an A. O. Smith, which supposedly is a very popular motor, that Hayward uses inside their equipment... I dont know :)

Anyway, the pump runs great, but its so much louder than the Hayward was.

Is there anything I can do? Should I insist my pool guy replaces it with a Hayward?

Any help would be appreciated.

If the pump is the same then noise is usually a function of how the pump contacts the ground and the plumbing. This might have been changed during the repair. Placing a rubber mat between the pump and the ground and/or short rubber hoses between the pump and the rest of the plumbing can make a huge difference.

Another possibility is that they put in too large of a motor and the pump is cavitating. Or something else is wrong (something bumping around in the impellor chamber).

mitch said:
Is there anything I can do? Should I insist my pool guy replaces it with a Hayward?

A.O. Smith makes almost all pool pump motors. Is the noise just normal motor vibration and humming, but louder? Is it like a washing machine?

Thanks for the help guys.

It sounds like a normal pump motor sound, just a lot louder than the Hayward was. I can hear it in the house if I keep the windows open. My old pump was extremely silent...

Are there any pumps out there that are known to be quieter? If so, I can have it replaced.

Otherwise, I will try putting the rubber matt underneath as suggested.

Thanks again!!!

It is possible that there is some misalignment between the motor and the pump, which will tend to bind all the rotating parts, or maybe some debris has gotten into the pump or motor. It may be worth opening it back up to look for foreign material in the unit, and verify that the mating faces on the motor and pump are clean and flat. Rarely, a bent shaft happens too.
Often, many 'general mechanical' repair guys do not give rotating machinery alignment the attention that it should have, and the result is noise and reduced life. In these applications, there is not of alignment that can be done, beyond clean mating faces and maybe the play in the holes that may allow the motor to be off-center slightly.
If you have the unit separated, you can secure the motor so that it cannot 'get loose', and switch it on while it is not mated to the pump and see if the motor noise is excessive with no mechanical load. If it is, get another motor.

I'd verify that it's the same size motor as before. I agree with Ohm_boy that it could be in a bind on the pump. Too many people just crank down one bolt, then the next and the next, and the pump housing ends up deformed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.