Size of my pool calculation

Sounds like you have a 16,000 gallon pool. ;)

My calculation for mine came to 47,000 gallons, but like you I found it wasn't accurate. I use 44,000 gallons because when I add chemicals, it works out correctly.

You can't count on bleach being exactly 6%. If it came from the factory recently it might be higher, and if it has been sitting around for a while it might be lower, anywhere from 3% to 8% in extreme cases. To adjust your pool size estimate you need to watch several different chemical additions over a period of time. If they are all consistently coming out higher than expected then the pool is smaller than you think.

Estimating the pool size is tricky. Fortunately you only need to be within 10 or 20 percent, as that is good enough. For now I would go with 18,000 gallons, and then adjust that over time if you are seeing a consistent pattern.

It is easy to calculate the size of a square (rectangle). Just get in the water and measure various 'blocks' and then add those 'blocks' together. We are all about taking charge of our pool. Why are you relying on someone else to 'estimate' the size of YOUR pool. Get wet! :mrgreen:

chemical sizing is fairly accurate if verified over several additions of several different chems.

Pool Calculators are not very accurate because they don't have enough parameters entered (slopes, curves, radius', steps, etc.) and because most people tend to put the depth of the pool in and not the actual water depth.

Pool Stores like to exaggerate the size of your pool because their software figures doses (and therefore chem sales) based on the entered size. I have one PS that says my pool holds almost 16,000 gallons and it doesn't even hold quite 13,000 gallons.

Voodoo_Pool said:
It is easy to calculate the size of a square (rectangle). Just get in the water and measure various 'blocks' and then add those 'blocks' together. We are all about taking charge of our pool. Why are you relying on someone else to 'estimate' the size of YOUR pool. Get wet! :mrgreen:

I wish my pool was rectangular, then I can easily put a cover. Also, calculating 'blocks' would be easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.