A couple seriously newbie questions

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
I have a skimmer/main drain diverter that, when I moved in, hung out in the skimmer. What is the purpose of this? Should the "door" on the bottom of it be opened or closed if used in skimmer.

I also have what appears to be a "floating weir" that sits in my skimmer basket, rather than a door like you have listed in Pool School. What exactly is the point of this? Does it need to be there? It doesn't exactly keep the junk from floating back out of the skimmer as far as I can tell.

Thanks for answering my questions. :)

Anne

The diverter is used to adjust the flow between the skimmer and the main drain.

The weir is to help the skimmer skim the top of the water more effectively. It also helps prevent the skimmer from creating a vortex and causing the air to sucked into the pump.

I would like to be able to divert mine to 100% main drain when I'm sweeping the pool. I don't know if it's common practice, but it would help me to get everything to the drain and subsequently to the filter if the main drain had more pull during sweeping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.