Death and Taxes

Nightmare

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
Riverside, CA
I don't think the ink was even dry on the final inspection before the county sent me out a nice letter asking about my new pool.

It's nice to know that the county is interested in the happiness of their citizens :-D

Wait a Minute...

What's this...

You want to know how much I spent on the project??? Why would you care about that... :rant:

Got any advice/insight :wink:

My last house had the pool filled in for almost 20 years. For the 5 years I was there, I couldn't get it off the taxes. They did it right too, there was no evidence of a pool ever being there unless you had a super-sharp eye.

They did quickly add my new garage though. :)

In most areas building a pool does not increase a homes value by the amount spent. Seems to me they are paid to figure this out themselves or else we all could tell them any figure we wanted? I agree with duraleigh file 13.

Let them assess it. They have no right to know how much you spent. None of their business.

FWIW, most towns in my state (MA) assess a pool around $10,000 no matter what was actually spent. That means it increases the property tax by the tax rate per thousand. My tax rate is $10.20 per thousand. So $10.20 x 10= $102 per year increase on the pool.

just for info- most locales may require building permits for repairs, and will usually inspect- but repairs don't constitute improvements!
Also, if you can buy materials separate, then pay for labor, the material cost is the factor most people report for costs...

It's the assessor's job to figure out how it affects the assessed value of your property. If they go too high, you can protest and refer to your actual cost to support your position (not valid in MA ;-)). If they're low, hey, thanks!

The assessor showed up at our place a few weeks ago. They knocked on the door *after* walking all over the property, just to ask "where's the deck?" I don't begrudge them the assessment, but I didn't care for the rudeness.

In NE FL, the permits have an approximate cost & can be checked online by anyone. The county appraiser came out this spring to measure/evaluate the pool & enclosure - double checking to make I didn't add an HGTV style backyard paradise!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've heard that if I supply a value that is too low ($10,000) for example, they will demand a copy of the contract from the PB.

If I tell them I spent $20 on the pool I'm sure they will tax me on the additional $20; even if it only adds $10 to the "value" of the home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.