Newby Just Fired the Pool Man...What Now?

Apr 19, 2011
First post as I take back control of my pool. Just took original test numbers today. Here they are:
FC = 0
TC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 8.0
TA = 80
CH = 110
CYA = 70

Ran them throught the Pool Calculator (30,000 gallons/sand/plaster) and got suggestions of
1) 2.6 bottles of 96oz 6% bleach
2) 34oz muriatic acid
3) 141oz weight or 113oz volume Banking Soda
4) 666oz weight or 532oz volume calcium chloride
5) replace 43% of water

Pool is in suburban Memphis, TN. Has been raining a monsoon here past 2 weeks so basically nothing has happened in 2 weeks. Rain stopped today and test kit arrived yesterday.

Any and all helpful suggestions or encouragement appreciated. Thanks.
Howard

Yea get some chlorine in there fast!

You'll probably be glad that you fired the pool man. When I first moved into this house (my first pool), a friend sent their pool guy. They wanted to come once a week for $120 a month. Problem is, I can eat up all my FC in one day! So what happens the next 6 days? Wanna guess? ;)

Howard, welcome to TFP!
madwil's right; add some acid to get the pH in range first (down to 7.2-7.5 or so), wait a half hour or so and retest to make sure it's right, then add the bleach. Don't add them at the same time!

Is the water clear? There's nothing urgently wrong with your numbers that I see. You will want to add the calcium, but TA is OK where it is. CYA is a little bit high, but I wouldn't drain anything due to that. It's still easily managable at 70.

Thanks for the help. The pool calculator also cautioned about going overboard all at once.

I added the acid, added about half the baking soda and then added 2 trichol tablets. I am switching to BBB but I think I will use up the last couple tabs first? Any problem there?

I also cleaned the skimmer baskets, emptied the polaris bag, and brushed the pool walls. Finally, the water is just a shade on the cloudy side, but I can easily see the bottom of the 10ft end. Thanks again. Uncertain beginners really appreciate this sort of helpful support.

Howard

Any problem there?
Yes, the tri-chlor tablets add CYA to your pool and yours is already just a little too high. Two tabs won't hurt you but you really shouldn't use ANY more tri-chlor tabs or di-chlor powder for the rest of the season. Liquid Bleach is by far the best thing you can put in your pool.

EDIT RobbieH is a faster than me but I am older and should've been given a head-start!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Howard, welcome to TFP!!

I hope you don't mind the banter betwixt the regulars here, we're a friendly site and sometimes give a little :poke: to each other from time to time :)

RobbieH said:
Are you sure I'm younger? I'm turning 45 this year ;)

I've typed all day for a living since about 1984, I have a little typing practice. :)

Robbie, Dave's got a few years on us :p (I also turn 45 in 2011) - it doesn't make him a bad guy, you just have to type louder and larger for him to hear and see what you say :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No problem at all. I especially appreciate the timely responses. I told my wife it's like having a staff of pool consultants at your service. Thanks.
BTW, I'm 53 so I think I have all of you guys beat on age. Thanks again.
Howard

OK...just did a 7pm CT test. Now the numbers look like this:
Water temp = 66
FC = 4.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.4

I may be a total noob, but I'm thinking these numbers look a whole lot better. Thanks.

Howard

Just did my first early moning test....7am here in Tennessee.
Water Temp = 66
FC = 5
CC = 0
pH = 7.4
Pretty much unchanged from last evening.

On the FC going from 4.5 to 5, I'm thinking that this is either simply my error, as I miscounted either 9 or 10 drops on one of the tests, or that is the result of the 2 final trichlor tabs that got added before I used the liquid bleach. Anything I need to be overly concerned with?

Thanks.

Howard

I would suggest that since your water is on the slightly cloudy side that you bring the pool to shock level and hold it here until you lose less than 1 ppm overnight (which you did), have .5 or less CC (check), AND the water is clear (not yet).

For your CYA level, shock level would be 15 PPM FC.

If you haven't yet, see How to Shock Your Pool.

The experts may have other opinions, if so, they win. :)

-- Pete

HowardL,

I'm with Pete.....hold it at shock level until your water is crystal clear.

Technically, it may be okay to let it come on down to normal and let your filter do the rest of the clearing but it costs very little extra to keep the FC at shock for the next couple of days.

It will virtually guarantee that you have really done a good job sanitizing the pool.

Guys, this is mostly my fault. I failed to note that the pool had completely cleared. This morning's 7am readings are:
Water Temp: 66
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
And, as I mentione dabove, the water is crystal clear. Thanks.

Howard

Sounds like you are good on the FC front then. Nice work.

Noticed your CH is 110 and you have a plaster pool. If you haven't done the calcium adjustment yet - that's where to go from here.

Have you looked at the CSI settings etc. in the pool calculator? Your CSI looks to be -.67 which is too low.

OK...so I'm on to my next puzzle. I read the Pool School and related info and see that I need to add calcium chloride.

Where do I get calcium chloride? I got a feeling that this one isn't on the grocery store aisle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Howard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.