Aqua Rite and Variable Speed Pump Issue?

johnd13

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
Do not know if this is a coincidence or if there is something going on.

I have replaced the Board and cell within the last year or so. Earlier this year, put in my new variable speed pump. My problem is that the Aqua Rite will read 3200 salt level. It will be fine then after a few days it will read something like 2200 and it will have stopped generating. I will reset and it goes back to 3200... After a couple days it does it again....

Bad cell? Bad board? Compatibility problem with the new pump?

Thoughts?

A little additional information.

7 am 3200 instant salinity, 3200 salt reading
11 am no change
2 pm 0 instant salinity, 2600 salt reading.....so between 11 am and 2 pm it went haywire.
reset and it went right back to 3200 instant salinity....

In the meantime I turned the unit off and then unplugged and plugged the cell cable back in and turned it back on just in case it was a loose cable...

With board less than a year old, I'm going to be ****** if that turns out to be it.... Orginal board and cell each last 5 years....

I assume that you have removed the cell and inspected it for scale or any debris stuck in the plates.

Yes I just cleaned the cell a few weeks ago. I think I found the problem...

Old set up, pump and Aqua Rite both run by timer with presets. When they installed the pentair variable pump, it has it's own timer and the installer simply removed the pins and the timer is "on" all the time. Well the pump shuts on and off, the Aqua Rite is now on 24 hrs a day. SO pump stops, aqua rite tells itself there is no flow and the instant salinity goes to zero.... I will be having a nice discussion with my installer this am....

this is precisely same reason I have IntelliChlor connected to a Macromatic Voltage Control relay which monitors the IntelliFlow VF pump power use and when watts drop below 160, the relay powers Off the IntelliChlor transformer.

have no timers in system and the VF pump controls all on/off operations for all components and Macromatic relay controls on/off for both Simpool and IntelliChlor

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got the same problem; so how do I "rewire so that the Aqua Rite is in line with the pump and now only is on when the pump is on"? The only external connector I see on the Intelliflo VS is the RS-485 cable but it has only two wires (yellow & green). The Aqua Rite instructions show four wires to be connected; do I need a Power Center for that or....?

John

tvorgitch:

Welcome to TFP ! Someone will be along to answer your questions, if you provide some more details about current equipment setup and what the Aqua Rite is doing.

The May 5, 2011 post indicates it was wiring and rewiring was the solution (the pump was off, the SWG was on and giving a "no flow" code). You don't mention your equipment setup, but if you are running a timer (like an intermatic), page 11 of the manual that came with your Aqua Rite will give you instructions. If you have other automation, you might ask here, with details of your system. You can also google (bottom right), there have been a few threads about the system over the years.

I'm not sure of his situation but if you run a vs pump too low an rpm your salt will also be shown as low. lower the rpm the lower the swg shows salt level. we tested with an Aqua rite and ecostar and found around 1,800 rpm was good for the ecostar and also the aquacal heat pump. just thought I'd share this info..hope it helps

Have the identical issue as johnd13 . Newly installed Pentair Intelliflo vairable speed pump with Hayward Goldline Control Aqua Rite electronic chlorine generator. I replaced a single speed pump with the variable speed (trying to go green with a 200/month electric bill). Removed the old style timer pins and used the timer in the pump. Anyway, I spent 2 weeks trying to trouble shoot and finally figured out if I turn off the chlorine gen after the pump shuts off and then turn it back on the next day after the pump turns on, all is fine. It would be nice to have the pump be able to turn on the generator, I do not want to add another timer that can get out of sync. I am not sure how to rewire as the pump that will allow for this type of operation. I have looked inthe manuals and I cannot find any external signals to turn on/off the clorine gen.

The solution susa mentioned above, a current controlled relay, is the only reliable solution for turning the SWG on and off when you have a IntelliFlo pump and don't have an automation system. If you have a Pentair branded automation system, the automation system will take care of everything for you.

Jason, thanks, where would you recomend to attach a relay? Where would you connect the coil? and the switch? Susa post is almost a year old so I am not sure he is still monitoring this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.