solar pool pump

siebo

Aug 21, 2010
Leipsic, Ohio
I just had a hair brain idea, or maybe not?
Wonder if I could setup a solar panel system just for my 1hp pool pump. Know I need solar panels, inverter, and batteries to do this. Looking for optional ideas and any help with this idea. How big of solar panels, how many storage batteries, how big of inverter? would it all be worth it (cost effective) over a couple of years or just one good pipe dream?I have 1hp Hayward pump that says 12 amp. max pull.

It's generally not worth the expense of adding a solar farm just to run a pool pump.

You will need a 3,000 VA inverter or larger to start your pump. You'll need 2,000 watts of solar panels to run it on a sunny day and more to accomodate cloudy days.

Your best bet is a grid tie system. You can get a 2.3kw grid tie system for about $7,300. The good thing about those systems is that you feed any excess power back to the grid and when you need more than you make the grid feeds you the extra.

Of course if I just used it to run my pool pump the payback would be 15 years if I never ran the pump off the grid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.