Converting to BBB, winter closing questions

Sep 26, 2007
Southern NH
Hello, I found this site from Poolforum, seems they are locked down to new users right now. Both sites have tons of useful info and have convinced me to get rid of Buaqacil and try the BBB method. My questions have to do with when to convert and closing the pool for winter.

1) can I wait and start the conversion in the spring
2) do I need to put any winterizing chemicals in if I wait and if so which ones

I did the normal winter kit last year with the bottles of winterizer and floating canisters of stuff. Does this keep the liner from deteriorating or just maintain the water? My alkalinity is a bit high right now but everything else seems ok. Thanks for replies, kinda sad the season is over. :(

Welcome to TFP!

Sure, you can winterize right now and do the conversion in the spring. Chemically, all you really need to do is get the PH right and make sure TA and CH aren't way off and cover up the pool. The only point of most of the winter chemicals is to avoid getting algae over the winter. If you skip them, the pool might get algae over the winter, but the conversion in the spring is going to take care of that in any case. You could do the rest of the winterizing chemicals if you want, as long as you skip the Baquacil sanitizer, but personally I think that it is probably not worth it.

Wow, that was a quick reply. Thanks for the advise. I have a bottle of winterizer left from last year, I think I'll add it and call it a day... or season in this case. Is there a simple way to drop TA? The pool place tells me PH decrease will also drop the TA.

Lowering your TA is simple enough, but requires a bit more work than just dumping something in:
1) lower your pH to 7.2 with MA. This will also lower your TA
2) aerate your pool... aim returns to the surface, splash around (if you are still swimming), use a fountain attachment to a return, etc. This will raise your pH without affecting your TA.
3) when your pH is up around 7.8, repeat steps 1 and 2.

When your TA is where you want it, adjust your pH as usual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.