Tiny Ants in Pool.... how do I stop them!!!!

Sep 26, 2007
Florida
I live in S. FL and bugs are a way of life here, but since we moved into our new house we've used our pool far less than we'd like because it takes an hour + to clean all the ants off the surface of the water. I'm talking about thousands of little tiny ants (i guess they're sugar ants, I'm not sure...). For some reason our skimmer is not sucking them in, maybe it's because they're so tiny and light?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep them from committing mass suicide in my pool? Or any way to get them out of the pool easier/faster?

Thanks so much!!!

Christina

Christina,

First off, Welcome to TFP. Concerning your bug problem. I would suggest treating the entire yard/ perimeter surrounding your pool first. In our area, we have a big problem with Red Ants. Several years back, I was introduced to a product called Talstar. This stuff comes in a 25 lb. bag and is in granular form. You can spread throughout the yard just as you would fertilizer. I tend to spread it every 6 months and do not have any troubles with bugs in my yard. If a hot spot pops up simply spread some on that spot and it will take care of the problem. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

They are probably looking for water since it has been so dry this year. Is this a new pool? AG or IG. An old camping trick I use is if you were going to be parked in a spot for any length of time was to sprinkle Comet around any part of the camper that touched the ground (Tires, tounge jack, stabilizer jacks etc). Im told ants cant go through anything with a bleach substance in it. It burns them and they die... having said that I would find out if its ok to spinkle comet around your pool or not first. Also have you tried putting out ant traps in SEVERAL locations to lure them away from the water? in case you hadnt noticed ants can be stubborn!

divnkd101 said:
Several years back, I was introduced to a product called Talstar. This stuff comes in a 25 lb. bag and is in granular form. You can spread throughout the yard just as you would fertilizer. I tend to spread it every 6 months and do not have any troubles with bugs in my yard. If a hot spot pops up simply spread some on that spot and it will take care of the problem.

This is the best stuff ever made for ants. We applied it at our previous home and never had an ant problem since for 12 YEARS!! Our neighbors hated us because all the ants ran to their yards. It's not cheap, but worth every penny.

Hmmm. Interesting! We have a bad time with Fire Ants here where we live and I am always putting Fire Ant killer on the beds and water etc etc. They just go make the nest elsewhere. Recently I tried the product they have out where you spread it over your yard through a shaker screen at the bottom of the bag (purchased prod at Walmart) waiting to see how that does. but I will look into the stuff you use for sure! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.