Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny Ants in Pool.... how do I stop them!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny Ants in Pool.... how do I stop them!!!!

I live in S. FL and bugs are a way of life here, but since we moved into our new house we've used our pool far less than we'd like because it takes an hour + to clean all the ants off the surface of the water. I'm talking about thousands of little tiny ants (i guess they're sugar ants, I'm not sure...). For some reason our skimmer is not sucking them in, maybe it's because they're so tiny and light?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep them from committing mass suicide in my pool? Or any way to get them out of the pool easier/faster?

Thanks so much!!!

Christina
    My pool: 17K Gal IG Gunite with 6' spa, Nautilus FNS Triton DE filter, Dolphin Dynamic cleaner, Jacuzzi Magnum Force pumps (2), rock waterfall, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Christina,

First off, Welcome to TFP. Concerning your bug problem. I would suggest treating the entire yard/ perimeter surrounding your pool first. In our area, we have a big problem with Red Ants. Several years back, I was introduced to a product called Talstar. This stuff comes in a 25 lb. bag and is in granular form. You can spread throughout the yard just as you would fertilizer. I tend to spread it every 6 months and do not have any troubles with bugs in my yard. If a hot spot pops up simply spread some on that spot and it will take care of the problem. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3
    They are probably looking for water since it has been so dry this year. Is this a new pool? AG or IG. An old camping trick I use is if you were going to be parked in a spot for any length of time was to sprinkle Comet around any part of the camper that touched the ground (Tires, tounge jack, stabilizer jacks etc). Im told ants cant go through anything with a bleach substance in it. It burns them and they die... having said that I would find out if its ok to spinkle comet around your pool or not first. Also have you tried putting out ant traps in SEVERAL locations to lure them away from the water? in case you hadnt noticed ants can be stubborn!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101
    Several years back, I was introduced to a product called Talstar. This stuff comes in a 25 lb. bag and is in granular form. You can spread throughout the yard just as you would fertilizer. I tend to spread it every 6 months and do not have any troubles with bugs in my yard. If a hot spot pops up simply spread some on that spot and it will take care of the problem.
    This is the best stuff ever made for ants. We applied it at our previous home and never had an ant problem since for 12 YEARS!! Our neighbors hated us because all the ants ran to their yards. It's not cheap, but worth every penny.
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

5. Back To Top    #5
    Does this stuff work on fire ants too ?
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

where is it sold ?
    miegbert

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TizMe
    Does this stuff work on fire ants too ?
    That is what I mainly use it for. I have a local store that I purchase it from. However, the product is available online. Unfortunately, I do not have any sites to suggest but I am sure a google search will result in a lot of hits. Good Luck
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

8. Back To Top    #8
    Hmmm. Interesting! We have a bad time with Fire Ants here where we live and I am always putting Fire Ant killer on the beds and water etc etc. They just go make the nest elsewhere. Recently I tried the product they have out where you spread it over your yard through a shaker screen at the bottom of the bag (purchased prod at Walmart) waiting to see how that does. but I will look into the stuff you use for sure!
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Tiz,

FYI, they also have this product mixed in with a fertilizer. Of course it is a little more expensive but you are doing 2 things for the price of one. Good luck.
    MIKE

10. Back To Top    #10

This site was very helpful when I was researching my fire ant problem:

http://fireant.tamu.edu/broadcastbait/

I've spread Amdro around the pool area - in the garden off the deck - and it seems to be controlling them really well. I discovered a nest of them at the edge of the concrete equipment pad when I was replacing my filter.
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!