is 2" pipe overkill when working at low pump volume flow?

Jan 3, 2010
Claremont california
Hello Friends,
I am upgrading my pool with a new Pentair variable speed pump and an aqua-rite 40k cell Chlorinator. I am planning in predominantly be using the pump at a very low speed for a long time. I will be changing most of the connections due to poor design. I was wondering if is wise to upgrade my pipes from 1½ to 2”. My copper underground pipes going to the pool are 1½ inches and cannot be upgraded. Since only my above ground equipment connecting pipes can be change, is it wise to upgrade to the bigger size? Specially, since I will be using my Pentair variable speed pump at a very low setting.
Please advice,
George

Re: is 2" pipe overkill when working at low pump volume flo

George
You can find flow charts for piping online... every foot of pipe, reduces pressure, but the amount of pressure loss is directly related to pressure and inversely related to pipe size...
This means, if 1 1/2 inch is big enough to allow the flow of the pump, you're wasting money to go to 2 inch...
Remember, however, to differentiate between tubing size and pipe size- if your installed copper is 1 1/2 copper tube, it is smaller than that inside diameter. If it is pipe, the inner diameter is probably bigger than 1 1/2 (schedule 40 pipe is approximately ID=pipe size; in a pool application, I doubt anyone used schedule 40- probably schedule 10! or more probably 1 1/2 OD tube, with a smaller ID- getting 1 1/2 inch PVC will actually be more flow than the current copper, or at least as much!)

madwil said:
George
You can find flow charts for piping online... every foot of pipe, reduces pressure, but the amount of pressure loss is directly related to pressure and inversely related to pipe size...
This means, if 1 1/2 inch is big enough to allow the flow of the pump, you're wasting money to go to 2 inch...
Remember, however, to differentiate between tubing size and pipe size- if your installed copper is 1 1/2 copper tube, it is smaller than that inside diameter. If it is pipe, the inner diameter is probably bigger than 1 1/2 (schedule 40 pipe is approximately ID=pipe size; in a pool application, I doubt anyone used schedule 40- probably schedule 10! or more probably 1 1/2 OD tube, with a smaller ID- getting 1 1/2 inch PVC will actually be more flow than the current copper, or at least as much!)

Thanks for getting back to me and sharing with us the great info. I went on line and found some info regarding the difference in materials such as pvc, galvanized and copper.

Finally, I have copper pipe running on my pool's equiptment. 1.65" O.D.

I'd go with the 2". You'll cut a few feet of head out of your equipment and that can only make your intelliflo operate more efficiently. It's not like the 2" costs much more.

+1

Larger pipe helps at all flow rates. However, I wouldn't replace the stuff underground as that probably would not pay for itself. But the stuff above ground is easy and cheap to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.