Heatpump flow rate question??

jamesfr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2011
W.Sussex, UK
Hi,

I have just installed a new heatpump and it looks like its a bit under sized for my pool :cry:

My pool depth is approx 4.5ft avg so I calculate that I have approx 13200gals

The heatpump is 17k so is sized correctly for my pool according to manufacturer - they recommend upto 50m2 surface area, I have 36.4m2.

My question is they recommend a flow rate of 6m3 to 12m3 and say 6m3 is optimum. I am currenly running 12m2 as I am putting all of the water through the heatpump.

By doing this am I reducing the output of the heater?? Will the water not absorb all the heat in the coil?? Anyone good at maths to work this out?

The pump is rated at 55k btu. I have also calculated that it will take about 2hrs to raise the pool by 1f. It is taking much longer than this.... :cry: :cry:

Any thoughts on this apart from buy a bigger one :hammer:

Heatpump spec;

I have a eco 7 40

eco7-specifications-table-new.jpg

I can understand the minimum flow rate to prevent getting the coils too hot and also to give reasonable efficiency. I can also understand a maximum flow rate to prevent erosion corrosion. However, I don't understand why the "optimum" is at the low end since the higher efficiency would be at the higher flow rate. Perhaps they are trying to reduce the risk of erosion corrosion. I don't believe you are any less efficient at the higher flow rate and if anything should be slightly higher in efficiency.

The efficiency of the heater will vary quite a bit with the air temperature. Heat pumps are much less efficient when the air is cold. I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but if it has been a cold spring like I have been having here then the heat pump won't be putting out anywhere near it's maximum output.

There's nothing wrong with the flow rate i dont think. You're just trying to heat a pool, in April/early May, in canada, with a 55k heat pump, with 55-60 degree air temps. You're not getting 55k out of that heater. Its somewhere south of that. Heat pumps dont work too well until the air temp gets to around 70 degrees consistently, and there's a little humididty. But the salesman doesnt tell you that. :evil:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.