Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
This will be my fourth season third opening, and it is by far the latest I have opened my pool. The weather just will not cooperate. I was going to open it this past weekend, but my father fell down the basement steps and broke his arm and ribs and a vertebrae in his neck ( not serious though) and has been in intensive care all weekend. Is anyone one else haveing just a complete weather meltdown because they can't open their pool.

GOD KNOWS I AM!!!

Good news is that Dad is doing much better even if the weather is not! He is one lucky man! Thank God!

Hope your Dad continues to improve.
Our weather has been terrible. At the end of last season my husband took the pump, filter and heater off and put them in garage. He had very good intentions and planned on hard plumbing everything plus installing the solar panels that are sitting in the garage this spring. Weather just hasn't allowed it. Now he is having surgery this week so he did a quick hook up of the pump and filter for me. We also have a pile of lumber for a deck. I bet nothing else gets done this year. :(

Hope your husband has a quick recovery and glad the dad is doing better. our dad just had a triple by-pass and he is going to be 81. so far, so good. anyway...

OUR WEATHER BITES. cold. windy. rainy. did I mention cold and oh yes, RAINING? :rant:

Can't get anything started on the pool, haven't even uncovered it d/t the cold and wet outside. We had record breaking snowfall for our area in Ohio and now April is the wettest April in recorded history for our area. Nice.

NOT.

I'm feelin' your pain.
:evil:

dorpo75 said:
Hope your husband has a quick recovery and glad the dad is doing better. our dad just had a triple by-pass and he is going to be 81. so far, so good. anyway...

OUR WEATHER BITES. cold. windy. rainy. did I mention cold and oh yes, RAINING? :rant:

Can't get anything started on the pool, haven't even uncovered it d/t the cold and wet outside. We had record breaking snowfall for our area in Ohio and now April is the wettest April in recorded history for our area. Nice.

NOT.

I'm feelin' your pain.
:evil:

I just want to look at blue sparkly water again. Not the black yucky water on the cover. Tired or winter. Had enough. Best wishes to your family members too. My dad is strong...He'll be fine.

Glad your dad is not hurt any worse and is better.
I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month. :(

Glad to hear that your dad is doing better. My dad just skirted colon cancer (thank the good Lord!), but still must have surgery to take out the bad part. He's 73 and not in the best of health as it is. But we know he'll be fine once he's all healed up.

As for our pool, the water was at 86 and we were biting at the bits to get in - but didn't have time to clean the wedding cake steps, which ended up with algae inside because we got very, very lazy at the end of last season. THEN, the rain came around, a couple of cool fronts snuck in and it hasn't stopped long enough to make any headway! :roll: It will be late May again this year...

Haulinbass02 said:
I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month. :(

Get yourself several packages of frozen peas and keep them in the freezer to use as ice packs after the surgery. They will conform nicely to the shape of your face and neck and can be re-frozen multiple times. My 21 yr old son (the voice major) had his tonsils out last summer and the frozen peas where very helpful to ease the pain the 1st week after surgery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Totally with you on the pool opening delay. This will be the 5th time I've tried to open the pool, only to shut it down again. Leaks, flooding, cold, leaks, flooding, cold. There's been so much rain I'm considering adding bleach to the vegetable garden and swimming there this year
:cry:

Attachments

• swim tube.jpg
    swim tube.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 440
Haulinbass02 said:

Goats...you starting an ARK or something...remember two of each species male and female...No unicorns! :party:

Haulinbass02 said:
Good info, will get my wife to buy some (if we don't have any already) and keep around. Anything to ease the swelling and pain I will welcome!
Drugs- really good drugs!

Seriously, after my elbow was operated on, I was on vicadin for about 3 days, and lots of beer after that; occasional use of NSAID (motrin and similar Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug). Mostly just relax, don't let the blood pressure get up, and take it easy a few days...
Good luck!

Cherie said:
Glad to hear that your dad is doing better. My dad just skirted colon cancer (thank the good Lord!), but still must have surgery to take out the bad part. He's 73 and not in the best of health as it is. But we know he'll be fine once he's all healed up.

As for our pool, the water was at 86 and we were biting at the bits to get in - but didn't have time to clean the wedding cake steps, which ended up with algae inside because we got very, very lazy at the end of last season. THEN, the rain came around, a couple of cool fronts snuck in and it hasn't stopped long enough to make any headway! :roll: It will be late May again this year...

Hey Cherie, it sounds like our 73 year olds were very lucky...Don't you guys need some rain down there?

cubbybeave08 said:
Haulinbass02 said:

Goats...you starting an ARK or something...remember two of each species male and female...No unicorns! :party:

Need something to control the brush. If not, then that means I have to which means less time in the pool!!!!! :mrgreen:

Well, I finally got it open on Friday, before the Cold Front came through. It hasn't been warmer than 55 degrees since then. I haven't seen the sun since then. I was so cold last night after starting up the pump and making sure it didn't leak and testing the water and making sure that I had the return in the right direction, that I couldn't get warm again.

SHOW ME SOME SUNSHINE!!! :hammer: :rant:

Tell me about it...I just put the leaf net over the solar cover to keep all those tree swirlies (have no clue what they are actually called) from falling in the pool. The good news is that my CH has fallen to below 200 while my fill water CH is 350+, but the pool water is only 60 deg :(

dmanb2b said:
Tell me about it...I just put the leaf net over the solar cover to keep all those tree swirlies (have no clue what they are actually called) from falling in the pool. The good news is that my CH has fallen to below 200 while my fill water CH is 350+, but the pool water is only 60 deg :(

Dman...the thing that makes me angry is that on Friday we had a week of upper 80s and low 90s and the water under the winter cover was 70 degrees. Last night when I checked my thermometer...it was 58 degrees...I lost 12 degrees over three days. That is gonna be hard to make back up!

Chin up, the better weather is coming, it's just gonna be a late one this year. Farmers Almanac says hotter than normal for June/July/Aug this year - one can only hope, since the "new normal" for the last few years has been below normal -

Ours is open, cleaned and running. Just waiting for temps to rise so I can add the salt and turn on the SWG. Supposed to be near 80 today in NW Minnesota so there is hope for the rest of the country, yah???

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. It has been the spring from H### for everyone. My DH had a heart attack at the end of March so we also have been dealing with a lot of issues - after two hospitalizations and some stents, he is limited on lifting and heavy work so I get to do more. Glad to do it though, love my pool but love my hubby more.

NWMNMom said:
Chin up, the better weather is coming, it's just gonna be a late one this year. Farmers Almanac says hotter than normal for June/July/Aug this year - one can only hope, since the "new normal" for the last few years has been below normal -

Ours is open, cleaned and running. Just waiting for temps to rise so I can add the salt and turn on the SWG. Supposed to be near 80 today in NW Minnesota so there is hope for the rest of the country, yah???

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. It has been the spring from H### for everyone. My DH had a heart attack at the end of March so we also have been dealing with a lot of issues - after two hospitalizations and some stents, he is limited on lifting and heavy work so I get to do more. Glad to do it though, love my pool but love my hubby more.

NWMN MOM...give the hubby my best...It has been a CARAZZZZY Spring. My dad has a long road ahead of him, he has been on the Rehab unit, and doing 90 min of different threapies in the morning and 90 min in the afternoon every day but Sunday. He has another week yet.

The crazy thing has been your weather has been consistently warmer than ours. That is what I get for living next to that big body of water we call Lake Michigan. NE winds keep us cool. We had a summer like that two years ago...I don't want another repeat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.