Test results

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
A little background, Pool installed on 4/26, pump hooked up and running 4/29 late in the day.

Tested water 4/30

PH 7.8
FC 1
CC 1
TC 2
TA 90
CH 250
CYA 0

Last night we added 4 lbs of cya using skimmer sock in skimmer (didn't really take too lond to dissolve, only about an hour or so), and 48 oz. of bleach a little at a time directly in front of the return. When adding the bleach the water would turn a little cloudy (I could see where I added it but within a second or so it that area would go clear again) is that how it works?

Here are test results today

PH 6.8
FC 0.5
CC 1
TC 1.5
TA 50 (when it turns pinkish should I keep adding until it becomes a darker pink)
CH 130
CYA 30

When getting the cya ready to put in pool, some spilled into pool :x I'm sooo new to this, I just freaked out until JasonL said I could just vacuum it up....I didn't even think of that!!!!! I was like how are we going to get this stuff out and tried mixing it up with the skimmer net!! :oops: Thats how overwhelmed I am!!!
Anyway, the pump has been running since yesterday afternoon. Next steps??? Does anyone have any suggestions on accesories (i.e. buckets or other containers) to add chemicals easier?

Thanks very much

Yes, when pouring the bleach in the pool it will sometimes turn the water a little "non-clear" right at the pour zone but should clear in a couple of seconds.

It looks like you need to shock. A CC of 1 means you have a problem.

How long did the pool water sit before adding chlorine to it?
What did you add to bring the pH down?

When doing any of the tests you should keep dropping until the drops make no more change then don't count the last drop.

When I manually dosed I used a graduated plastic pitcher to add the chlorine. It worked well and you cna control the flow out of it better than a bleach bottle.

If your PH reading from the second test is right, you added too much acid. Double check that result and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.8 before continuing to shock, or as soon as the FC level is again below 10.

Bama Rambler said:
How long did the pool water sit before adding chlorine to it?

Started filling pool on 4/26 around 2:00 pm finished filling 4/29, so i guess it sat 2 days since filling completely before adding anything.

What did you add to bring the pH down?

I only added the stabilizer and bleach.

When doing any of the tests you should keep dropping until the drops make no more change then don't count the last drop.

When I manually dosed I used a graduated plastic pitcher to add the chlorine. It worked well and you cna control the flow out of it better than a bleach bottle.

Thanks

JasonLion said:
If your PH reading from the second test is right, you added too much acid.

the amount was said was 4 lbs.

Double check that result and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.8

I double checked and got the same result. The calculator said to add 88 ounces (which i think is the same as 2 quarts 3 cups) of Borax. I read that I should dissolve in water then add in front of return...Can it be added by pouring powder directly in skimmer?

before continuing to shock, or as soon as the FC level is again below 10.

How long should I wait to add more bleach? and what do you mean "as soon as the fC level is again below 10..it's only 0.5 right now? Is it okay if I continue running the pump on low until the chemistry is correct?
Thanks

One thing that bothers me is that the pH went from 7.8 to 6.8 without you doing anything to make it do that. That points to a testing error to me.

Run the tests again and post the results, and lets see where we're at.
If the pH is really 6.8 we need to bring that up before shocking.

It's fine to run your pump on low.

Calculations of the amount of chemical to add to change PH are always approximate. It is best to use less than what was calculated, let it mix in for a while, and then check to see where that got you before continuing.

I get 29 oz of borax to raise the PH from 6.8 to 7.2 in 12,000 gallons with a TA of 50.

It is best to pre-dissolve borax in a bucket, though you can add it slowly to the skimmer if you want to.

You don't want to wait very long to add bleach. Do some PH adjustment, and then continue shocking. The "FC is again below" was in case you had already added more bleach.

That difference is pool size is no where near enough to account for the difference in the calculated amount of chemical. Did you remember to set TA to 50 and Borate to 0? The number in the Now column for both TA and Borate affect the PH change calculations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I should add less than 64 ounces of borax? How much less?
The calculator said 98 ounces of bleach...how much less? I plan on waiting about an hour or two after adding borax to add bleach. Sound okay? Should I detest everything or just certain ones tomorrow?

For PH changes, especially large PH changes, try adding about 2/3rds of the amount it calculates, let it mix in, test again, and see how you are doing.

For bleach you should add the full amount calculated.

While shocking you only need to know FC and CC. If FC comes out below 10, then it would be nice to know PH just to see how your adjustment turned out.

We added 5 cups of borax to the pool (dissolved in a bucket of water and poured slowly in the skimmer) We will add 96 ounces of bleach in about 30 minutes. Is it okay to wait until tomorrow to retest? Would putting the solar cover on benefit us? Obviously, the water will warm up, would it help chemically? Am I adding anything that would need the solar cover off? (when adding bleach I guess I would just pull the cover back a little, if that sounds okay) I will post new results tomorrow, unless I hear otherwise from you all. BTW, I have read everything on the site, however I just want verification in case I'm making an error (today is perfect example), just until the water chemistry is correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.