How do you test for CYA?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I’m a new pool owner with a salt water pool. The pool company just added the salt for the first time last week and didn’t add any CYA to my knowledge anyway. I have a “5 way test kit” which tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, and Acid Demand.

Are any of those useful for CYA? If not, do I need a different test kit? Or a special CYA test kit? I didn’t see any mention of CYA in the instructions, but I’m wondering if it goes by another name?

Thanks!

CYA is also often called stabilizer, but you were correct in thinking that the kit you have doesn't test for it. Most of the folks on this site (myself included) will recommend the Taylor K-2006 kit or TF-100, both of those have a test for CYA. You can sometimes find a kit at Walmart or similar stores that has the CYA test in it, but for long term pool care and the ability to test all the things you'll need to over time, the K-2006 or TF-100 are the way to go. tftestkits.net is the only place to get the TF-100, the K-2006 can sometimes be found at pool stores, but most often online. Do not get the Taylor K-2005, it's not the same.

-- Pete

You could also get a $14 supply of test strips that show TC, FC, pH, TA, and CYA. Purists will argue they are not accurate but they are quick, easy and close enough for me in telling if things are trending up or down, or in your case if you have any CYA at all.

The problem with test strips is that they are so wildly wrong, expecially on the CYA test, that they're useless.
If you want to do it right you need a good test to determine where you are.

I don't recommend test strips for anything. The only thing they're usually close on is pH, and they can be wrong on that as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.