Sabot's Backyard Improvement Project

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Howdy all!

I wish to start off by thanking many of you for your guidance through my research. This is our first pool which we have ever owned. We will be using the BBB method once we have a firm grip on pool ownership.

Along with the pool build we are constructing a new covered patio area, a stand alone spa, solar heating for the pool, build a new storage shed and various small landscape projects.

I am behind posting so I will do a series of photos and a brief time line:

We signed the contract on August 25 2007. Layout on September 10, excavation week of September 10’th, rebar install on September 21 and plumbing on September 24. Once the plumbing inspection is done, we are then onto Gunite.

Layout:
Layout.jpg

Excavation:
TheDig.jpg

FinalDig.jpg

Rebar:
Rebar.jpg

Plumbing:
PoolPlumbing.jpg

I still get amused to see so many water lines which are used in a pool install. We have 11 of lines total for our pool.
PlumbingPipes.jpg

Equipment Pad:
EquipPad.jpg

I am sorry for the delayed answer: Prism Blue.

The install seems to be moving right along. For those of you whom have built pools, is our pool moving along in a timely fashion? It seems like it is to us but this is our first pool.

A small mistake yesterday, the PB ordered and then installed the wrong colored tiles. Our Super was all over it and made the corrections. I am not micro-managing this project like I normally do. I have full confidence in my West Point Grad Superintend. To keep my mind off the project, I stay busy with Cub Scouting and fishing. Being a neat freak of sorts, I can’t stand seeing my back yard looking like a construction zone.

Sabot said:
For those of you whom have built pools, is our pool moving along in a timely fashion? It seems like it is to us but this is our first pool.

Let's see, you're about 4 weeks into your build. I would say you're moving along just fine. 6-8 weeks is probably average completion time for a gunite pool with spa like yours. It also sounds like you have a good supervisor. My measly no-spa pool took 12 weeks, so with all that said, ANYTHING can happen.

GOOD LUCK! It's looking great and keep the pics coming!

ktdave said:
Sabot said:
For those of you whom have built pools, is our pool moving along in a timely fashion? It seems like it is to us but this is our first pool.

Let's see, you're about 4 weeks into your build. I would say you're moving along just fine. 6-8 weeks is probably average completion time for a gunite pool with spa like yours. It also sounds like you have a good supervisor. My measly no-spa pool took 12 weeks, so with all that said, ANYTHING can happen.

GOOD LUCK! It's looking great and keep the pics coming!

yea, your pools looks nicer than mine :cry:

Here are a few more pictures of the project. It continues to hum right along. The deck was poured on Monday. Final electical work is scheduled for today as is minor brick work. Pool cleanup & Patio cover construction is scheduled for Friday. Sundeck looks to be mid to late next week. Spa install & Plaster after sundeck, in about 2 or so weeks. (We decided that we want most of the project done prior to plaster) Fingers crossed, next week our solar system maybe installed. With luck, our project should be completed by end of this month!

Deck Pictures:
Rebar
DSC00947.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

Deck
DSC00972.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry folks... I have not been uploading pictures of late. The pool is almost done. Pool school next week... Our free time over the weeks where consumed by building fences, moving 14 yards of mulch, 9 pallets of sod and various other action items to get the yard ready.

DSC01032.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

Below is a good picture on how we mounted our solar panels to gain our HOA approval. All panels had to be on the rear side of the house. Lucky for us, our house faces south.
DSC01039.jpg

looks awsome, jsut curious. Is that one little 2 hp pump driving 6 water features and your regular returns, or is there a valve for each return and you have 6 returns. im kinda puzzled here, or am i not seeing a pump.

Good evening,

We have one pump which can drive four water features. The other two lines goes to various returns. I need to get a recent picture of the equipment pad which shows the solar connections. When we are heating with solar, we will turn off the water features.

As for going for a swim... the water temp is a warm 68 degrees right after the fill. The solar should go on tomorrow.. maybe a little heat might be good. :)

Sabot said:
Good evening,

We have one pump which can drive four water features. The other two lines goes to various returns. I need to get a recent picture of the equipment pad which shows the solar connections. When we are heating with solar, we will turn off the water features.

As for going for a swim... the water temp is a warm 68 degrees right after the fill. The solar should go on tomorrow.. maybe a little heat might be good. :)

thanks for the info, why swim in 68 when you probably have a 100 spa ready to go.

I won't swim in the pool unless the solar warms it up. We have been using the hot tub since it's arrival.

I need to take some morning pictures when there are less shadows. I would like to use one of those in the slide show. :)

After work today I decide to brush the pool using my new Whale brush. After I brushed the pool, I was a bit warm. I decided to put on the old trunks and continue the brushing inside the pool. The temp was 68 degrees (our thermo is floating in the skimmer. Is this a good spot for it? I saw public pools putting them in there.) this morning and held since we topped off the pool the other day. Good news is that the brush worked great. Even better news is that all of us except for the wife swam in the pool today. (Brought back memories of swimming in the Great Lakes in early June... OUCH!) Our solar panels came on line around noon today. We noticed a rise in temp around 3pm today. The water temp at the skimmer was 70 degrees. By the end of the day, the temp rose to 72 degrees. Not bad for a half day of solar production... We are going to add a solar cover tomorrow to see if that brings up the temps even more. I really didn't expect a temp rise of more then a degree or two but we where really happy to have a four degree rise in around four hours.

I would put it in the deep end. I think it gets you a better reading because it is the bigger body of water. I think they put them in the skimmers because they dont want people messing with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.